TimHepplestone

RAF WW2 camouflage. Hard edge or soft edge?

Has anyone, now or ever, thought that *outside* of the factory, the RAF used painting mats?  There's even less evidence of that than there is for their use *inside* factories, which is to say, there is zero.

And yet if we go back to the ‘Old Testament’ ie the word according to Edgar, he was adamant that mats were used...

58 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

And yet if we go back to the ‘Old Testament’ ie the word according to Edgar, he was adamant that mats were used...

Yes he was, and I know I've seen pictures of their use but can't find them anywhere.

On 20 September 2019 at 8:30 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Has anyone, now or ever, thought that *outside* of the factory, the RAF used painting mats?  There's even less evidence of that than there is for their use *inside* factories, which is to say, there is zero.

On 20 September 2019 at 10:33 PM, nmayhew said:

On 20 September 2019 at 11:32 PM, LSP_Ron said:

Yes he was, and I know I've seen pictures of their use but can't find them anywhere.

I remember seeing those pictures on Mossie production at Hatfield or Leavesden.

Tony 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Look again

Slight differences, yes.  But that can be accounted for irregular application of the masks.  Each would have to be located on the aircraft every time.  And irregularities in applying the paint relative to the mask too.  

A photograph of a mask on a Spitfire is much more compelling evidence (assuming that exists) than a bunch of near-identical camouflage patterns and pointing out very small discrepancies among them.

37 minutes ago, TAG said:

Here's a fascinating video that was posted in an old Hyperscale thread about the exact same subject we're discussing here. It's an official RAF training film for painting camouflage on a 303 Squadron Spit, definitely worth a gander!

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F02334/

Indeed! Look from minute 24 to see camo and roundel painting. Free hand job but this is clearly a repair workshop. 

Very interesting video!  Note the total lack of any kind of breathing mask as the paint fumes billow into the air.  Mind you, in those days everybody smoked too.

Chuck