1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

The mind boggles - what on earth were the Vought engineers thinking when they came up with some of this stuff?

Agree.  The aircraft is chalk full of rube goldberg contraptions.  Must have been a huge challenge to work on, and a challenge to fly too.  But you cannot argue with its record - it was a profoundly successful aircraft.  Pilots must have learned to love it.  

14 hours ago, wingman777 said:

I’ve owned one of these 1/18 Corsairs and they are huge.

Oh huge it will be.  That is why I seriously entertained building the wing folds.  But were I to do that, I would have wanted them to be functional; I would not have been happy with permanently folded wings.  The more I researched it though, the more I realized how difficult (if not impossible) it would be, and I finally punted on the idea.  So now, I have to find room for this beast.  At least it isn't as large as the 1/18 P-38 I have which is just ridiculously large. 

Edited by JayW

Last post I was headlong into the wing flaps.  Now, both sides are done:

eDJGdBel.jpg

Next on the docket is landing gear lower strut installation - one of those steps I wish I could do later, but cannot if I'm going to do it right.  It is this that I am trying to duplicate (Dana Bell again):

ZfSiF0Xl.jpg

That is to say, the lower struts, the brake lines, and the shrink link mechanism. 

You may recall some of these 3D print parts from a good while ago:

R8CvKibl.jpg

It was time to final assemble these parts, finally.

Recall I made a large fixture to better assure a good straight gear strut installation - and I believe it worked great.  I cannot see any angular error.  Here:

gZ23vywl.jpg

BA6vPOIl.jpg

Some close ups:

dXgcP78l.jpg?1

cHaxGpCl.jpg

0eH5jo2l.jpg

ZmqSIXNl.jpg

The brake lines are made from .032 inch diameter solder, the clamps from 3/64 thin wall brass tube, and hardware is Meng nuts.  Man - it's been a while since I showed those 3D print tires we all debated about.  What do you think of the bulged flat?

Next post will be the shrink link mechanism - probably the most finicky details I will do on the landing gear.  Until later; thanks for looking in.

As advertised, the shrink link mechanisms are complete:

yVOUOCZl.jpg

The lever itself is 3D printed - here is a picture I posted a while back:

wxgbaGQl.jpg

A very fragile dinky little part, and sure enough I broke one off.  So I had to do an excruciating microscopic repair:

rwV0ihVl.jpg

Don't look too close - it isn't real pretty.  That is the third repair I have had to do on some fragile 3D printed parts, and the hardest.

Now once the shrink mechanisms were done, I could finally button up the wing halves after nearly 5 months of work:

v4Cv7KMl.jpg

Always a great milestone!  

And once that was done, the way was clear to finish up the last 5% of the wheel wells by terminating the last few hydraulic lines:

0mwJNGWl.jpg?1

YT7AquSl.jpg

4G6mYzMl.jpg

And there she is:

GQ5T0rxl.jpg

The belly door awaits, then some dremmel work to make way for carb air and supercharger ducts.  And then - wing/fuselage join and back into the cockpit!!!  

Take care, and stay tuned.  Thanks for looking in.