Revell Super Hornet with lessons learned

hpetiers

hi Mark M, yes this is no Tamiya but having started the Heller/Airfix E-3 Sentry in 1:72 until I started this one, I must say that this is an easier build, I am enjoying this one really. Once you overcome the stupidity of the inner parts 1 mm higher than its outer skin, then it something that can be solved. 

Thanks Markjames for the encouragement, I have to agree that once completed, the gear bay is the most elaborate of any kit I ever built. having put also the sides onto the structure, I wish I had sanded the sides of the front and rear faces of the wheel bays a bit more to ease the mounting of these plates, but in the end it has come together:

DSC08584.jpg

DSC08585.jpg

around the wheel bay there is now just a small gap to deal with:

DSC08586.jpg

DSC08587.jpg

DSC08588.jpg

also the bottom plate between the intakes now almost fits without a step, I think just a little more sanding of the surfaces of the intakes will solve this.

DSC08589.jpg

You know what i am thinking about this kit?

Its a shame for Revell to construct something like that. German engineering is well known all over the world, but this model kit is made for the bin, its really trash.

Better spend my money for the Academy or Trumpeter one.

I was an exhibitor on the Euro Model Expo in Lingen/ Germany this march, and i tried, yes i  t r i e d to talking with a member of Revell, i want give them advises for the future, what models we want, and what quality, you know what he acting so arrogant and vain, and treat me as a little school boy who need milk.

he wrote my wishes on a little paper, what will surely getting lost.

i am ashame to be a german sometimes.

Gentlemen, what grumpiness on this forum! Believe it or not I am having quite a lot of fun with this kit. Is it a stupid mistake to enigneer the insides 1 mm higher than the outer shell? of course! but if you take that for granted the parts are not that bad (yet) and the surface detail is quite good.

And I have come to the conclusion that the height mistake is consistent over the whole length:

So like Mark already posted, also the cockpit needs work: The canopy will conflict with the HUD, it is easiest to win this mm in the instrument panel. 
here the panel before:
DSC08562.jpg
by splitting up panel in between the screens and putting it back together again, most of the issue is solved. HUD and canopy frame made black to show:
DSC08590.jpg 

also behind the ejection set you end up with a 1 mm gap on the outside. By reducing the rear wall this is easily solved:
DSC08583.jpg
DSC08596.jpg

oh yes, and do not forget to reduce the same mm of the ECS exhausts. This is not depicted in the manual:
DSC08523.jpg

call me what you want, but I also reduced the foremost bulkhead, while not depicted in the manual:
DSC08595.jpg

I scraped a bit of plastic from between the intakes to fit the front hull, which I glued to the front halves:
DSC08592.jpg

some small clean up of seams..
DSC08591.jpg

and then everything fits quite well. Later I discovered that the centerline fueltank will completely make this seam obscure, I would have been easier off.
also smoothened the intakes with Miliput.
DSC08593.jpg

this is the seam on the inside of the intakes, it takes a bit of work but it is doable. I am glad by the way that I mounted and smoothened the intake plates before the intake tunnel was complete! still need some sanding paper to smoothen the inside corners:
DSC08594.jpg

Edited by hpetiers

hi Starfighter, I can relate to your feelings, this is why I had a good look at the rear end of my project tonight. and hopefully with the permission of mr. Melampy´s awesome book about the super hornet, I can show you what it is about the distance between the engines:

DSC08597.jpg

so Mark, call it mad, call it overconfidence, but I´m sure that in your business they have a scientific word for it...I decided to put the engines closer together. So our came the iron saw and I started to...

DSC08598.jpg

this gave me 2 mm in width reduction between the exhausts. Some part of the engines had to go in order to be able to clean up the newly made cuts:

DSC08600.jpg

then the whole was glued together again after tidying up of the seems. to align the bottom plate parts I clamped a piece of styrene strip on the inside:

DSC08603.jpg

I think I got away clean with it! just some gaps to fill now.

DSC08602.jpg

though it is just a few mm's, the difference is easy to see

DSC08601.jpg

And yes, still enjoying this kit!

Edited by hpetiers

I agree! As if you don't have enough seams to fill with this kit, you are creating more of them! Making it more accurate, though. I think you are going to to have a good-looking kit in the end! 

On 4/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, hpetiers said:

hi Starfighter, I can relate to your feelings, this is why I had a good look at the rear end of my project tonight. and hopefully with the permission of mr. Melampy´s awesome book about the super hornet, I can show you what it is about the distance between the engines:

so Mark, call it mad, call it overconfidence, but I´m sure that in your business they have a scientific word for it...I decided to put the engines closer together. So our came the iron saw and I started to...

this gave me 2 mm in width reduction between the exhausts. Some part of the engines had to go in order to be able to clean up the newly made cuts:

then the whole was glued together again after tidying up of the seems. to align the bottom plate parts I clamped a piece of styrene strip on the inside:

I think I got away clean with it! just some gaps to fill now.

though it is just a few mm's, the difference is easy to see

And yes, still enjoying this kit!

Nope!! Not doing that!!

Don