Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

What 1/24 Mustang? Or are you referring to a motor vehicle?

Kev

Tamiya uses 24th scale for their cars etc - it’s a pretty common scale for domestic style motor vehicles. He is, of course, referring to a Ford Mustang ... and the details/tooling of that new kit are insane!! Most everyday people out there refer to the “Mustang” as either a horse or the Ford fastback coupe. 

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

On 8/18/2020 at 2:11 AM, Basta said:

I'd honestly let go of Tamiya and look to the several Eastern European companies that are having a real 1/32 expansion. 

I fully agree. I do not understand why people are still waiting for Tamiya LSP releases. I'm waiting for kits from Eastern Europe manufacturers as they are the only ones producing regularly good if not excellent kits for a fair price and they do not hesitate going out of the comfort zone topics. Asian producers have terribly slowed down the pace, are quite often releasing kits that are too often not that accurate or easy to build (Chinese producers) or quite expensive with very few and too often 'mainstream' releases (Japanese producers). The LSP drive was in Asia up to 2010-2015. Now, it is clearly in Eastern Europe. Love or hate it but this is a fact. This does not mean I'm not buying the new Asian kits but at least I'm not 'waiting' for them. 

I'm still dreaming of Tamiya upscaling their stunning 1/48 scale Tomcat to a proper (i.e. q/32nd) scale. Sadly, they are literally still printing money with their long paid old moulds (which in addition sadly still are the base for the most accurate 1/32 Tomcat...) so there isn't much hope. I for one am not really interested in props anyway. Oh, a re-issue of their small mouth F-16 kit would be most welcome as well... 

20 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

I'm still dreaming of Tamiya upscaling their stunning 1/48 scale Tomcat to a proper (i.e. q/32nd) scale. Sadly, they are literally still printing money with their long paid old moulds (which in addition sadly still are the base for the most accurate 1/32 Tomcat...) so there isn't much hope. I for one am not really interested in props anyway. Oh, a re-issue of their small mouth F-16 kit would be most welcome as well... 

not being as fussy, if its an aircraft model, says Tamiya & 1/32 on the box...I’ll buy it.

15 hours ago, Basta said:

Tamiya is foremost a toy company and they are focusing on a very lucrative kid's RC toy car market. Basically they've outgrown most of the IM model market, which is mature and saturated, and it isn't going to bring them the kind of ROI that those RC cars do. 

Yes they brought their molding to an exceptional level, but today many companies are capable of their results, it's no longer a question of technology but of employing experienced and dedicated designers. 

I'd honestly let go of Tamiya and look to the several Eastern European companies that are having a real 1/32 expansion. 

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I fully agree. I do not understand why people are still waiting for Tamiya LSP releases. I'm waiting for kits from Eastern Europe manufacturers as they are the only ones producing regularly good if not excellent kits for a fair price and they do not hesitate going out of the confort zone topics. Asian producers have terribly slowed down the pace, are quite often releasing kits that are too often not that accurate or easy to build (Chinese producers) or quite expensive with very few and too often 'mainstream' releases (Japanese producers). The LSP drive was in Asia up to 2010-2015. Now, it is clearly in Eastern Europe. Love or hate it but this is a fact. This does not mean I'm not buying the new Asian kits but at least I'm not 'waiting' for them. 

What they say⬆️   I'm hoping ICM might scale up its Foxbat, and that the flurry of trainers dips into Cold War era subjects like the JP and Chipmunk. Fairly chuffed about the injection moulded Tiger Moth. 

In fairness to the Chinese there is (allegedly) the possibility of a Jaguar and Thunderstreak from Kitty Hawk, Trumpeter has in real life finally released the F-100F, and if you yearn for new tool WW2 single engine piston types the Revell boxing of the Special Hobby Tempest is attracting a £40 pre-order price. 

Tony 

The Foxbat....:wub:

I'm in love with the plane since I saw the bad pictures of Viktor Belenko plane some years after having been shot in Hakodate. I was a teenager!

It is one of the rare planes I seriously considered scratchbuilding as most of the surfaces are closed to be flat and there are 3D printed exhausts (even if very expensive). However, I'm not sure I will ever dare going back to scratchbuilt kits. This is typically a topic we could see arriving out of the blue from Trumpyboss, nothwithstanding a surprise release from an Eastern producer even if they did not touch such huge kits up to now...:hmmm:

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The Foxbat....:wub:

I'm in love with the plane since I saw the bad pictures of Viktor Belenko plane some years after having been shot in Hakodate. I was a teenager!

It is one of the rare planes I seriously considered scratchbuilding as most of the surfaces are closed to be flat and there are 3D printed exhausts (even if very expensive). However, I'm not sure I will ever dare going back to scratchbuilt kits. This is typically a topic we could see arriving out of the blue from Trumpyboss, nothwithstanding a surprise release from an Eastern producer even if they did not touch such huge kits up to now...:hmmm:

Thierry, you're talking Foxbat, and its squared lines, but what about a .......Vigilante, was doing some research on that one for a scratchbuild project after my B-8 Canberra, but a IM kit would be most welcome too......

I also love the Vigilante but the hump of the RA-5C is another matter and the nose up stance of the plane and quite thin front landing gear leg noticeably complicate the scratchbuilding approach. Moreover you have to build two pits. However, in that case as well you can rely on existing exhausts. 

On 8/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

What 1/24 Mustang? Or are you referring to a motor vehicle?

Kev

Ford Mustang GT-4.  It is one amazing kit.  My point being that even within Plastic models LSP's are not Tamiya's primary game.  Like others have said plastic models are not their primary game either.  Now I do believe Tamiya is committed to Plastic models, 1/32 is one subject among many not a primary subject.  So for those that expect a constant stream of Tamiya LSP's or hope for such a thing it is no more than a pipe dream.  As LSP enthusiasts we will do well to embrace the companies that are committed to airplanes in our scale and enjoy the rare Tamiya LSP because that is the best we can hope for.  

27 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

Ford Mustang GT-4.  It is one amazing kit.  My point being that even within Plastic models LSP's are not Tamiya's primary game.  Like others have said plastic models are not their primary game either.  Now I do believe Tamiya is committed to Plastic models, 1/32 is one subject among many not a primary subject.  So for those that expect a constant stream of Tamiya LSP's or hope for such a thing it is no more than a pipe dream.  As LSP enthusiasts we will do well to embrace the companies that are committed to airplanes in our scale and enjoy the rare Tamiya LSP because that is the best we can hope for.  

The 1:24 Enzo Ferrari I got a few months back, is utterly amazing. The GT and perhaps the GT4 will also be grabbed as well, but most definitely the GT though.

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

The 1:24 Enzo Ferrari I got a few months back, is utterly amazing. The GT and perhaps the GT4 will also be grabbed as well, but most definitely the GT though.

agreed, i have one, it was one of the first 1/24 car kits I know of that attempted to replicate the real cars internal sub assemblies.  That car was released nearly 15 years ago now and is fairly unique as car models go.  The ford GT is nice but it does not include a full engine like the Enzo.  

The Enzo kit is much more interesting to me actually than the real car because while I love cars, i am not that in to exotics.  I don’t like the philosophy of ridiculous price and just generally ridiculous.  I appreciate the early exotics a little more, when you go back to the era when that meant you could legit take the same car to LeMans and be competitive.  

I keep trying to tell people on here, that what makes Tamiya great is their diversity.  Their brilliance in tooling comes from working in so many different subjects including motorcycles, cars, tanks, planes and ships.  They all have unique challenges and I don’t think you get their brilliant 1/32 LSP’s without the other work they do. but those very LSP’s are going to be rare gems not every day occurrences.

Edited by cbk57