Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Honestly, it wouldn’t bother me if Tamiya never made another 1/32 kit.  I’d miss not getting the glass nosed Mossie or two-seat F-16, but companies like Z-M have taken over for them in my book, especially for WW2 stuff.

Z-M seem for sure in the 32 category taking over the lead for props (WWII) but jets they are trying 48 first it seems with their brilliant Phantoms

23 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I really like ZM, and I've done business with ZM, and their stuff is really, really nice.  But ZM is no Tamiya, not by a really long shot.  Many of their kits still have errors of basic research and a whole lot of really, really head-scratcher "engineering".   They have a very long way to go to get anywhere close to Tamiya's level.

It’s true

I agree. The surface detail is also so crisp and rivet detail so small it looks almost correct in scale.

Im happy the paint manufactures stepped up their game over the last decade or so also. It would be really hard to do a modern Tamiya Kit justice with old school paint. 

Tamiya is great, no doubt.  But if they aren’t making the kits we want, it doesn’t really matter how great they are.  If we have to go to other companies to get our 1/32 fix, then that’s how it is.  Besides, saying one company is “better” than another depends of the criteria.  Tamiya may have the best fit and engineering, but as far as putting out new kits, they aren’t the “best” and there are other  kits that have detail at least as good as Tamiya, and sometimes better.

15 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Tamiya is great, no doubt.  But if they aren’t making the kits we want, it doesn’t really matter how great they are.  If we have to go to other companies to get our 1/32 fix, then that’s how it is.  Besides, saying one company is “better” than another depends of the criteria.  Tamiya may have the best fit and engineering, but as far as putting out new kits, they aren’t the “best” and there are other  kits that have detail at least as good as Tamiya, and sometimes better.

I agree - they may be the best quality - along with WNW, of course - but not in terms of value & range. The likes of Revell offer superb value, Trumpy & Hasegawa a great range, Special Hobby offer esotericity, Silver Wings dominate the inter-war period, Roden cheap WWI biplanes, etc.

4 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

"If they don't do the kits we want" - you mean the kits *you* want.  

I'd say plenty of people have wanted Zeros, Spitfires, Mustangs, Corsairs, and Mosquitos.

Spare me the condescending.  That’s not what I meant and you know it.

Edited by Dave Williams

On 5/3/2019 at 10:01 AM, cbk57 said:

i see on HyperScale’s Brett Green has posted a video feature on the BF-109G-6 located in Australia.  He pointed out the photos were taken back around 2012.  So it is not really something new.  It gives me that feeling of maybe someone has an idea of something coming soon.  Probably bunk conspiracy theory on my part but thought I would post for fun.  

Lord knows, he is that guy who will always need another Bf-109. Green has a nice symbiotic relationship  with Tamiya, so it's possible that he knows something and is dropping a big hint. 

12 minutes ago, adameliclem said:

Lord knows, he is that guy who will always need another Bf-109. Green has a nice symbiotic relationship  with Tamiya, so it's possible that he knows something and is dropping a big hint. 

I’m so done with -109’s but if Tamiya offered one up in 32nd, I’d be all over it.   Just because....

11 minutes ago, John1 said:

I’m so done with -109’s but if Tamiya offered one up in 32nd, I’d be all over it.   Just because....

A Tamiya '109 would be almost impossible for me to resist.