Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

Should know Thursday or Friday.  Usually on Friday lots of photos start posting from show goers.  There is some chance we will see something before but most likely not till Friday.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:24 AM, cbk57 said:

Actually with both the Mustang and Corsair I found Japanese published kit releases and the only thing legible was the scale and the aircraft for example 1/32 P-51, the rest was in Japanese.  Believe or not with some hunting we might find it before the show.

That actually occurred with the Spit MK IX, the release info appeared in the back pages of a Japanese magazine, all in Japanese.

Up until that time those at Vintage Wings (where the Spit was extensively researched) were sworn to secrecy. We did keep quiet for nine months.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:37 AM, John1 said:

Maybe their original F-16 kit didn't sell well enough?  If so, why would they double down on the D-model.  I would argue that despite the passionate posts of a few folks on a model forum, in the big scheme of things, a two seat F-16 just isn't that highly sought after by the general public. 

Plus - everyone knows that if Tamiya really wants a kit that will be a license to print money, they should release a UH-1D/H Huey!!!  

The 1/48 F-16s were hot sellers. I know the 1/32 F-16 was popular, I’m not sure if it sold in similar volumes as the 1/48 kits.

If Tamiya wanted to print money they’d release a 1/72 Hercules.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, adameliclem said:

Lord knows, he is that guy who will always need another Bf-109. Green has a nice symbiotic relationship  with Tamiya, so it's possible that he knows something and is dropping a big hint. 

He knew about the Mosquito, I know that. But it also was the worst kept secret in Tamiya history.

7 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

He knew about the Mosquito, I know that. But it also was the worst kept secret in Tamiya history.

Worse than the Corsair?

The number of Trumpy 1/32 Corsairs suddenly appearing on EBay in the months leading up to Tamiya's release suggested that I was just about the only person on the planet who didn't know.

I'd also say that Tamiya, if they produced a 109, would not really be in competition with Revell, Trumpy, Hasegawa, etc. It would be so expensive as to seriously not be an option for modellers who's small budgets rely upon Revell for their kits. Nothing wrong with expensive kits, I should know - (Except HpH tosh) - but it's at the very top of the market.

I do wonder how representative of the 1/32 hobby us lot are? We spend ridiculous amounts on kits, in many cases for diminishing returns, to get as close to accurate as our brains and wallets dictate.

But are we a small niche, largely ignored by the major manufacturers, who aim for cheaper, simpler kits that sell in greater numbers? Or do we have some market clout? The lack of a decent early Mustang would suggest not, perhaps?

I just don't know.

2 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Worse than the Corsair?

The number of Trumpy 1/32 Corsairs suddenly appearing on EBay in the months leading up to Tamiya's release suggested that I was just about the only person on the planet who didn't know.

I'd also say that Tamiya, if they produced a 109, would not really be in competition with Revell, Trumpy, Hasegawa, etc. It would be so expensive as to seriously not be an option for modellers who's small budgets rely upon Revell for their kits. Nothing wrong with expensive kits, I should know - (Except HpH tosh) - but it's at the very top of the market.

I do wonder how representative of the 1/32 hobby us lot are? We spend ridiculous amounts on kits, in many cases for diminishing returns, to get as close to accurate as our brains and wallets dictate.

But are we a small niche, largely ignored by the major manufacturers, who aim for cheaper, simpler kits that sell in greater numbers? Or do we have some market clout? The lack of a decent early Mustang would suggest not, perhaps?

I just don't know.

I think we have some clout.  If for no other reason than we are the ones that will buy multiples and hoard them.  We will buy more than we can build and so on.   If we were not there, then the market would be Michaels and Hobby Lobby could sell in the U.S. anyway.

I have never seen an HKM kit anywhere other than a large hobby shop and on line.  Same with ZM and Wingnut Wings.  We are their market.  Tamiya has a lot more going on though than airplanes so they just do not focus on 1/32 so we get a kit from them now and then. 

Actually if it were not for serious hobbyists stores like Hobby Lobby would be selling the same models that had.been issued for the last 40 years.  I suspect new releases would be very rare and quality of new releases would be much more toy like.  Toon kits would probably be much more common than serious kits.  There might also be very few 1/32 airplanes if any.  Most weekenders would be buying 1/48 and 1/72 for example kids etc.  Small and cheap would dominate the market.

Edited by cbk57

10 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I think we have some clout.  If for no other reason than we are the ones that will buy multiples and hoard them.  We will buy more than we can build and so on.   If we were not there, then the market would be Michaels and Hobby Lobby could sell in the U.S. anyway.

I have never seen an HKM kit anywhere other than a large hobby shop and on line.  Same with ZM and Wingnut Wings.  We are their market.  Tamiya has a lot more going on though than airplanes so they just do not focus on 1/32 so we get a kit from them now and then. 

Actually if it were not for serious hobbyists stores like Hobby Lobby would be selling the same models that had.been issued for the last 40 years.  I suspect new releases would be very rare and quality of new releases would be much more toy like.  Toon kits would probably be much more common than serious kits.  There might also be very few 1/32 airplanes if any.  Most weekenders would be buying 1/48 and 1/72 for example kids etc.  Small and cheap would dominate the market.

Brett Green leaked T-company LSP 109. I'm calling it now. 

21 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

The 1/48 F-16s were hot sellers. I know the 1/32 F-16 was popular, I’m not sure if it sold in similar volumes as the 1/48 kits.

If Tamiya wanted to print money they’d release a 1/72 Hercules.

But would it sell in Asia, though, where the bulk of their market is?

On 5/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, cbk57 said:

Their plan for a basic series revolves around the Fw 190 doesn't it?  

I read somewhere it goes like this :

Fw190A-3  Basic
Fw190A-4  SWS
Fw190A-5/6/7  Basic
Fw190A-8  SWS
Fw190D-9  SWS

You could get from the -3 (basic) to the -4 pretty easily,

leaving the A-8 and D-9 which , like you say are pretty

well covered for us simpler build fans.

If these 'Basics' are popular enough, they could follow

on with others.  Like the P-51B   :speak_cool:

Edited by MikeMaben

8 hours ago, thunderbolt1988 said:

Brett Green leaked T-company LSP 109. I'm calling it now. 

Which one? Tamiya has a few 109s! They just released the 1/72 Bf 109 G-6 kit last month, it is hitting the shops around now, and that video is just as applicable to that NEW kit. ;-)

Radu