My opinion on the Lancaster from HK Models

Eagle Driver

Thanks for sharing. Looks very impressive. 

Yes, the retro letratone type painting guide is a throwback to childhood in the 1960s (by the 1970s the painting guide was often in colour on the back of the box), but once HK Models has caught its breath it might put coloured guides up on a new website (?¿) 

Like the finish on the parts, and the fact that these are moulded in clear and grey, not black. 

I wish Neil Yan et al well and hope we get to see some more jets before too long. I have two of his F.4 Meteors (with Fisher sets to turn them into an F.8 and T.7) and wished they had produced more variants, the way they did with the B-25 and Pfeil kits.

Now that there's three B-17s, does this mean a Tall Boy/Grand Slam Lancaster may follow?  I'm really waiting for the F-4K/M if it's still alive, as its footprint better suits my study. The advantage of swept wings and all that. Talk of Avro and WMDs does get me thinking of the Vulcan, in 1/48.

Tony 

Interestingly, this is one of the few reviews that received quite a few negative comments. 
People think that it was mostly trash talk about the kit, although the conclusion is very positive.
Actually the clear parts have few other let downs that I never mentioned, as defects and scratches not from rubbing into something inside of the box either.

Still I appeared to be very evil person to try and draw a parallel between this and WnW and criticize the decals too. 

I would love to hear LSP guys' thoughts about it!

Read the full review and I like it. All kits have shortcomings, and pointing them out is the whole point of a review, I don't see you trash-talking the kit at all. Personally I'm going to wait for the WnW kit to drop before I make a decision, but I'd much rather see a "No BS" review than some glowing praise just because there's a lot of plastic in the box. I'm not too personally invested in how precisely a model conforms to a specific real-world specimen - I'm more interested in the engineering of the kit and how much enjoyment I'll get out of it. I want to see sink marks, ejector pins, seams (or lack thereof). Crisp or soft edges (the engines on this one and HK's Mossie do not impress me, for example).

5 minutes ago, gwana said:

Read the full review and I like it. ...

Personally I'm going to wait for the WnW kit to drop before I make a decision...

I'm more interested in the engineering of the kit and how much enjoyment I'll get out of it...

Thank you!
That is the only wise decision in my opinion, but obviously some people think that is wrong because comparison between HK and kit that hasn't been yet release is a blaspheme.

Me too.

Overall I tried to be objective. Lancaster for me is more like a log with wings. However the kit is not bad at all. Canopy has some issues. PE is ridiculous and the color instructions lack any color what so ever. But...

Yup great review. I have said i wasnt impressed with the kit , BUT I actually looked at one and ended up taking it home. My biggest bugbear was the wings. Why slide mold wings , why not just make them in halves?!  Well i assembled said wings today and now i totally  understand why. Once the inserts are in they wake a really strong wing that is very light. Its actually a really well thought out kit. It has issues yes but nothing really bad. From now on i will look at a kit in the flesh and not judge it from photos on the internet.

A friend asked me if i thought it was worth the money and to be honest i couldnt answer. To me yes , to others no. I didnt bat an eyelid at paying more for a bandai millennium falcon so who am I to ask?!

Edited by gunpowder

52 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Wait. What? There's three B-17 kits?  I know of only two; the late G and the E/F.  What's the third?

Maybe the third is a reissue or an intended mooted on t'interweb.

I really like the look of the Lanc kit but it's got me thinking smaller planes. I would have put my money down faster than you could mentally compute if it was a new 1/48 Lanc Special or Lancastrian, with a Halifax definitely in trail formation. To Brits, there's a certain je ne c'est quoi (je sais, un peu ironique pendant le Brexit) about heavies and the smell of Humbrols. Hence my nostalgic reference to the 1960s.

I would definitely be mad enough to buy a 1/32 Sunderland III ou 'Allifax ou 'Alton.

The review was great and there's nothing negative about it at all. It was a bomber which carpet bombed but which also performed precision attacks and was flown by very brave young men defeating a greater evil, only half on whom lived to tell the tale (if, indeed, they ever did, because of the shocking losses in aircrew). A very fine 1/32 tribute to a British icon which performed the "second front" pending D-Day, and beyond.

Tony 

Nice review had not picked up on the clarity of the clear parts in my kits as they are still in the baggie.

No mention of the kits biggest let down the blister situation of gluing clear parts to clear parts and the lack of canopy options...zero, one or two side blisters.

Otherwise good review well done.

Edited by Darren Howie

I thought it a fair and balanced review. Thanks, EagleDriver. I hadn't noticed the lack of color callouts in the manual; the fact that it's in black and white doesn't bother me at all. Assuming I can get a good fit of the wing tips, I applaud HK's use of slide molding on the wings. It's nice to see someone push the envelope!

Edited by Bill_S

Surprising comments. On the face of that I saw on Facebook where it appeared that:

"I am not a modeler just someone who did a model or two in my teens and the proclaimed myself for instaguru"

and

"Bash the kit without understanding it"

and 

"the review was highly unbalanced" 

some gal called me "boris and natasha" which ... yeah :)

and so on and so forth

One guy even started me on why I wonder about the LSM and AK involvement without asking about it first.

Maybe next time I make a review I should reach out and ask all involved about how deep was their involvement and should wait endlessly for an answer before I post my opinion.

That last one was about the lack of color. Exclaiming LSM and that the fault for b&w instruction wasn't theirs. 
I actually don't care who's fault is, just didn't like paying 400+ British Pounds for b&w instructions :) :) Simple as that.

Edited by Eagle Driver

5 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

One guy even started me on why I wonder about the LSM and AK involvement without asking about it first.

That was me. You seem to think that people who advise on shapes and stuff also have a say on the finished product in terms of instructions colour scheme sheets.. 

I corrected you. Sorry that offended you. 

Maybe next time I make a review I should reach out and ask all involved about how deep was their involvement and should wait endlessly for an answer before I post my opinion.

Or simply don't post stuff for which your assumption is factually incorrect.. You didn't ask. I would have given an instant answer. 

Edited by JamesHatch