LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

Oh and just looked and Hannants have this as a future release at £107.99 whcih is cheaper than the Typhoon.

It's £99.99 if you are ordering from outside the EU, £89.99 if you are an Airfix Club Member. I pre-ordered two at the club price and will also get free shipping to the US. At the current exchange rate, that means they will be about $115 each shipped to my door, or cheaper than they can be bought in the UK.

8 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I can't see them not doing a -3 further down the road, despite the official line.

Agreed, 100%

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I hate to say it, but it only makes perfect business sense.......

Release the lesser liked/popular version first (-5 Hellcat, Birdcage F4U ect) and in this case, tell people there won't be a version of the more popular version released, so it doesnt kill sales of what they just did release. Only to utilize the molds again and release that other version later.

To not follow through with a -3 would make absolutely no sense to me, and when they do, I'll be all over it like a dog on a pork chop.

4 hours ago, PhilB said:

I'm sure this one will be as successful as the Typhoon especially amongst US customers.

I see no reason to assume that a WWII US fighter will be more popular in the US than the rest of the world. After all, how many Brit and Japanese modelers build WWII German stuff? As an American, I probably have more German and Japanese subjects than I do US machines.

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

48 minutes ago, JerseyChris said:

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

Crap. That really stinks.....why the motorized prop option with NO option for anyone at the controls?!?? 

53 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Crap. That really stinks.....why the motorized prop option with NO option for anyone at the controls?!?? 

Yup, bought the Revell technic light and prop motor Ju-88 kit recently, no crew figures and not a chance of finding suitable ones for the kit either I imagine ... perhaps there will be an after market one for the Hellcat though.

2 hours ago, JerseyChris said:

I know somebody who could do that for £500. That's the trouble when you don't speak to people in the professional model making world you make assumptions.

Graham

What pilot figure would you run with as a manufacturer? Given in 1/24 the differences between say a FAA pilot and his equipment and a USN pilot would be noticeable?? 

So perhaps one of those things best left to the aftermarket to resolve.. someone can do a really nice sculpt of a variety of pilots and everyone is happy..

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Perhaps Barracuda will come to the rescue, as they did with their awesome 1:24 Typhoon pilot.

59 minutes ago, JerseyChris said:

I think that was a standing figure though wasn't it?

Yes, but better (much better) than no figure at all, though a seated guy would be great too. Since I don't go for the gimmicky spinning prop thing, a standing pilot is wonderful for me, assuming I even use a figure at all.