LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

15 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

The windscreen is different too.

Doesn't seem like a huge stretch ... considering how little is needed for a -3 and how many want one, hopefully the aftermarket will come up with the needed bits.

There are lots of small detail changes between a -3 and -5 in addition to the large ‘ticket’ items mentioned and that also included cowl changes.. Also -3’s seemingly varied as production mods rolled out. So what -3 do you go for??

Being in 1/24 all that small stuff ends up being quite large..

5 minutes ago, Plasto said:

There are lots of small detail changes between a -3 and -5 in addition to the large ‘ticket’ items mentioned and that also included cowl changes.. Also -3’s seemingly varied as production mods rolled out. So what -3 do you go for??

Being in 1/24 all that small stuff ends up being quite large..

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Hellcat. If this were a Wildcat I'd be all over it like a dirty shirt ! That being said though, LSP has always been a place for modelers who were willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want and being that so many want the -3, it seems to me with such a wonderful new kit so close to a -3, that the differences shouldn't be too drastic to fix.

2 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Well, I'm certainly no expert on the matter, and I'm not really sure I want to try to convert one either.

As a scratch builder/ kit basher I can tell you that having the kit 90% provided is a huge blessing ! Also, often the changes/ mods are often a lot easier than they seem. A bit of careful work and elbow grease is often all that's needed.

16 hours ago, spacewolf said:

As a scratch builder/ kit basher I can tell you that having the kit 90% provided is a huge blessing ! Also, often the changes/ mods are often a lot easier than they seem. A bit of careful work and elbow grease is often all that's needed.

This is probably true, having the base kit, even if it's not a -3, is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. So, you'll be trying to convert one to a -3 then? If so, I'll certainly keep an eye out for that. Heck, I may even have to consider that myself. Here's the type of -3 look that I really like. The red surround really does it for me, and I'm quite certain you'll never see that on the more mundane -5 aircraft.

iFcReQ.jpg

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

This is probably true, having the base kit, even if it's not a -3, is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. So, you'll be trying to convert one to a -3 then? If so, I'll certainly keep an eye out for that. Heck, I may even have to consider that myself. Here's the type of -3 look that I really like. The red surround really does it for me, and I'm quite certain you'll never see that on the more mundane -5 aircraft.

iFcReQ.jpg

No, as I said the Hellcat is not my fav bird. What I was saying/ meant to say is that it shouldn't be too hard to backdate the kit to a -3 given the talent of quite a few of the folks here. If the aftermarket jumps on it and makes a conversion kit, all the better.

4 hours ago, spacewolf said:

No, as I said the Hellcat is not my fav bird. What I was saying/ meant to say is that it shouldn't be too hard to backdate the kit to a -3 given the talent of quite a few of the folks here. If the aftermarket jumps on it and makes a conversion kit, all the better.

OK, sorry. I did indeed misunderstand.

I'm wondering if we will get a repeat of the Typhoon scenario where once the first model is in place they release a second variant like the bubbletop and the car door ?

It would seem to make business sense as it requires a few extra mods rather than a complete new kit for a  -3.

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

I'm wondering if we will get a repeat of the Typhoon scenario where once the first model is in place they release a second variant like the bubbletop and the car door ?

It would seem to make business sense as it requires a few extra mods rather than a complete new kit for a  -3.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

I can't see them not doing a -3 further down the road, despite the official line.

I hate to say it, but it only makes perfect business sense.......

Release the lesser liked/popular version first (-5 Hellcat, Birdcage F4U ect) and in this case, tell people there won't be a version of the more popular version released, so it doesnt kill sales of what they just did release. Only to utilize the molds again and release that other version later.

I'm sure this one will be as successful as the Typhoon especially amongst US customers.

I had a look around the other day for a bubbletop from the usual sources (I don't do evilbay) and they just aren't about.

About as rare as rocking horse doo-dah and only the odd car door one around too.

EDIT:

Oh and just looked and Hannants have this as a future release at £107.99 whcih is cheaper than the Typhoon.

:D

Edited by PhilB
Misspelt poop