Recycling a Thunderbolt

Vynce804

Hi All,

I built this Trumpeter 1/32 P47 a while ago and have never liked the results,  I have recently built another one of these kits and that has only made my first attempt look even worse in my eyes.  So rather than break it down for parts and throw the rest away i decided to see if i could re-finish it into something i like better.  Dismantling the kit into its main parts was fairly easy and then armed with oven cleaner i stripped the paint off the airframe  and i have to say it worked better than i could ever have hoped and so now am left with a clean blank canvas.  I think i will add metal gun barrels and maybe resin wheels and think i will add a resin pilot to replace the original plastic one.  The plan is to do another OD  machine but keep the scheme simple, no invasion stripes etc I've a few ideas for which airframe and nose art to do but haven't made a final decision yet.  This will be a long term project as i get on with other things but should be fun to give this kit a second lease of life!

Cheers

Matt

o81kLCk.jpg

e6UPgMn.jpg

WzDfQST.jpg

Vqa1bos.jpg

Brave man! I've thought about doing this to one or more of my models, but in the end I always come back to using previous builds as kind of a bookmark of my skills at the time, to see the good and bad.

Looking forward to what you come up with!

I know what you mean but unfortunately my display case isn't big enough and is bursting at the seams at the moment and this kit just grated on me too much!

Cheers. Matt

Did the same job on a couple of my older kits, I used to spend a lot of time on interior details and less time on the final finish, So like you I started off with a clean slate and enjoyed myself and was pleased with the results.

Cheers

Dennis

Know the drill! Had to do it with my Have Glass 5th gen. F-16C, it was way to dark. So checkerd nose?

Cheers

Edited by dora9

So checkerd nose?

There's a thought! My recent p47 has a chequered nose and I actually have a spare chequered cowling which I practised on for that build which I could use but think I will go for something a bit different.... though thinking about it I have always liked the chequered nose OD p47 warbird ‘snafu' !

svFsYBU.jpg

Edited by Vynce804

When I first saw your 'before' picture, I thought it was your 'after' picture.  It looked that good to me.  The shortest wing barrel looks a bit odd.  Shouldn't it be recessed a bit More?  That before picture puts mine (Revell) to shame.  I like your subtle weathering technic.  You have now inspired me to shop around for a trumpeter razorback.  I've been on the fence with this one.  I'm off it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have now decided on a scheme for this re-build and have made a start on the cowling.  If i thought masking and painting the black and white checks on my last build was difficult I wasn't prepared for the whole new level of frustration that masking these diamonds on the cowling had in store!   well 4 attempts later i am starting to get something I'm happy with.  Its far from perfect, then in my defence from reference material the ones on the actual aircraft were often similarly imperfect!  Its still a WIP and i have quite a bit of touching up and fettling to do but I'm finally confident that i will get there in the end.  I have included several photos to illustrate the method for those interested...or crazy enough to have a go!

Cheers

Matt

eDu545m.jpg

8YWIare.jpg

owMvLw0.jpg

MeOkAVs.jpg

hWZrq36.jpg

X0dEl5j.jpg

STFTdko.jpg

RxmwTe9.jpg

hMC1l0D.jpg

92LTUxn.jpg

hGEcYKa.jpg

wqT8pw6.jpg

Guest Clunkmeister

That cowl is amazing! I've been at this game for more years than I care to admit, and I'm not sure I could manage that result at all.

AWESOME!