Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

Gotta say this seems to be turning into a WIP

Not what I intended. I'm not planning to post more pictures as there's nothing more to say. I found what I found, others found other things. It seems to me the kit can build very well indeed - if you take time to work out why something isn't fitting and fix that first

Richard

As Dave stated before, the only cut instruction is to open a hole (for a light, not the antenna mast):

Not trying to be troublesome but you need to review the instruction symbols.  The instructions call to delete not drill

For anyone interested, the instructions are posted online: 

https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/03944_%23BAU_P51D5NA_MUSTANG_EARLYVERSION.PDF

HTH,

D

Nor trying to be difficult but i reached the drill symbol conclusion the first time I looked at it but I wondered why they would have you drill a hole in an existing hole. I went back to the symbol section of the instructions :fight:  and found the following:

Detach%20symbol.jpg   Drill%20Symbol.jpg

P-51%20Tabs-M.jpg

The glue and paint icons need no further review. Hope this keeps someone from doing what I did to my donor kit

Sorry.... :piliot: :doh:

Edited by Night Hog

Seems pretty obvious that:

1) No notch can be "drilled" into the edge of the fuselage halves before they're assembled - it must be cut (hence the proper cut icon). 

2) The arrow leading from the cut icon points directly to the exact spot that needs to be cut out (the location of the light to be installed in step 74). 

3) Nothing in the diagrams for steps 18 & 19 suggests doing anything at all with the tail alignment tabs. 

HTH,

D

Heigh- ho, another day, another set of pictures

I haven't glued the screen in place, shimmed it or trimmed the dashboard, it's just balanced on the fuselage

Screen-1.JPG

Screen-2.JPG

Screen-3.JPG

Richard

How much money is worth saving for surface detail this sketchy?  The surface detail on this kit looks like a vac form kit from the 80s.

Edited by Sanderman

How much money is worth saving for surface detail this sketchy?  The surface detail on this kit looks like a vac form kit from the 80s.

I personally have the kit, as well as some vac kits. Its not anything remotely like a vac kit. Is it perfect? Also not true, but its far FAR from vac detail. The panel lines are lighter and shallower in some spots but its worth every penny of $25.00. As far as surface detail goes, Id say a few min spent with a scriber or needle in a pin vice and its taken care of, as I cant see any examples on my copy that have no surface detail or detail so light you cant just scribe right over whats there. 

I personally have the kit, as well as some vac kits. Its not anything remotely like a vac kit. 

Except if you choose to interpret the kit from a small area that has been filled and sanded of course. In particular, the hatch just in front of the screen has been filled according to the instructions

Richard

Except if you choose to interpret the kit from a small area that has been filled and sanded of course. In particular, the hatch just in front of the screen has been filled according to the instructions

Richard

Yes, forgot about that. It does say for the -5 to fill that panel, as Im assuming it was easier for them and us to produce it for the forthcoming filleted version, rather than leave it off for the -5 for us to re-scribe on later versions.

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm liking this kit more and more with every pic I see.  $25.00 for a nice Mustang kit was unheard of 10 years ago, never mind today.  Revell's gonna sell a gazillion of these.

I'm liking this kit more and more with every pic I see.  $25.00 for a nice Mustang kit was unheard of 10 years ago, never mind today.  Revell's gonna sell a gazillion of these.

I think they might already have!!

Cheers

Alan

Watching this and other threads about this kit has me excited to build mine.  Thanks for taking the time to point out the foibles and potential solutions, makes it easier for us in the future. 

Screen-2.JPG

Quick set glue one side, let it dry / cure, pull the other side flush and glue that side,

or make a wooden spreader. It's not much of a stretch.

...  Revell's gonna sell a gazillion of these.

Wait til the fillet tail comes out .  :whistle: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by mmaben

Guest Clunkmeister

Uninterested in the fillet tail. But this one... If they ever get them on the shelves, I'm buying.