Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

Strange. Some have fit issues, and many say they have 0 fit issues other than the known quantity of removing flash and filling sink marks. I wonder if there is any particular issue with assembly steps where one step out of alignment or done incorrectly puts consecutive steps out of whack.  Just spit balling here, as I have the kit, but just find it odd that some have had many issues and others none. 

I think some of it may have to do with "tolerance stack", there is the tiniest bit of wiggle room in some assemblies, so as you assemble, things get out of whack a bit. Some fit, like the back end of the cockpit is so tight, paint probably builds up to push things out. The cockpit fits into the fuselage so tight, you cant even squeeze it together, so, because I typically don't like to use any filler on seam lines, there will need to be some sanding on the outside of the bulkhead. Also, the tailwheel well assy is wider than the opening in the fuselage, as there is no paint here, I cant blame that for the issue. Opening the hole in the fuselage will help here. The front is fine, but the windsheild is both too narrow and too short, not by much though, I suspect a couple .010 styrene shims will take care of this. 

Overall, fit is OK, you will have to do some work for a nice NMF aircraft, but some filler and a little less time would be OK for an OD version. Like I said, I am not complaining too much, all these issues can easily be overcome with basic modelling skills. However, I did come to one conclusion...the fillet-less tail is not original to the design. I am now sure that Revell intended it to be released with a fillet first, this tail was added later as a last minute change. It just does not fit as well as the rest of the kit. Again, Im not complaining, this is a fantastic $26 kit! there is NO comparison to a Hasegawa P-51 for more money.

I believe that there is a vast spectrum of skills and approaches to construction when it comes to building and constructing a kit... 

Exactly. Some folks just slap it together and rely on filler to solve the problems while others invest the time and effort to make things fit properly. It's entirely the builder's personal preference. 

The wing saddle is a good example, and is fairly well documented here and in other build threads. One builder described quickly sanding down the sides of the wing/fuselage fillets to get the wing and fuselage together, but that leaves a substantial, visible step between the wing top and fillets (not to mention throwing off the fit of the lower cowl part later). Another builder took the time to remove excess material across the horizontal mating surface to get the fuselage to properly seat down into the wing with a minimal step. 

But, before any of that, the cockpit assembly has to be filed down to get the fuselage halves to fit together properly without force, or the poor fit of wing/fuselage joint is compounded further. 

The instrument panel is another good example. The parts assembled in Step 1 eventually interfere with the fit of the parts being assembled in Step 55. The little ears that stick out of both sides of the IP contact the insides of the windscreen part, and have to be shaved off in place. 

rQNPbRw.jpg

D

Guest Clunkmeister

That cockpit looks gorgeous.

Leave it to D to call BS on me when his detector senses it in the air. I deserved the earlier rebuke as a kitchen table inspection does not a build make.

My tolerance level for fit issues is probably quite a bit higher than some here, because like D, I enjoy resin, Eastern European limited production low pressure IM stuff, and all kinds of oddball-isms.

I'm not a "fill and let fill" guy either. I like to fix what I can ahead of time, but every now and then, one bites you in the backside.

I built the Revell 190F and was quite pleased with the way it turned out. I guess I hoped this would be similar.

But 3 HOURS to fix a canopy? Good GRIEF!

What I can say is that in regarding the sink marks, I saw little evidence of it on the flaps. Yeah, the top of the cowl seems maybe a bit vague in spots, but is a $80.00 cost savings worth it over Tamiya? We'll see. I don't like, need or want all the Tamiya extras and gizmos, or have to fight the ZM fiddliness everytime I see a cool scheme for a Mustang.

I hope this kit doesn't disappoint.

Edited by Clunkmeister

But, before any of that, the cockpit assembly has to be filed down to get the fuselage halves to fit together properly without force, or the poor fit of wing/fuselage joint is compounded further. 

Really? I didn't have to do that

Richard

Not trying to insult you. Just pointing out what caused what (not who caused what).

HTH,

D

What's wrong with the wing root? I posted that in my opinion it was good - I'm certainly not going to filler it

It's very hard for this to not get personal. If I don't have a problem and someone else does, am I ignorant or are they incompetent? Very dangerous territory

Richard

I looked at a review build of a test shot of the kit and some of the issues we all seem to have are present in that build. Lower cowl fit, leading edge gun insert fit etc...

Interesting to note that I'm that build the modeller assembled the wing to the fuselage as top first 1/2 first then added the Lower wing part then added the gun inserts to that.

I think that sequence might give a better wing fitting result...

I didn't get any issues with the cockpit fit impeding closing the fuselage 1/2's.

Exactly. Some folks just slap it together and rely on filler to solve the problems while others invest the time and effort to make things fit properly. It's entirely the builder's personal preference. 

The wing saddle is a good example, and is fairly well documented here and in other build threads. One builder described quickly sanding down the sides of the wing/fuselage fillets to get the wing and fuselage together, but that leaves a substantial, visible step between the wing top and fillets (not to mention throwing off the fit of the lower cowl part later). Another builder took the time to remove excess material across the horizontal mating surface to get the fuselage to properly seat down into the wing with a minimal step. 

The instrument panel is another good example. The parts assembled in Step 1 eventually interfere with the fit of the parts being assembled in Step 55. The little ears that stick out of both sides of the IP contact the insides of the windscreen part, and have to be shaved off in place. 

rQNPbRw.jpg

D

Man, I did mine all assbackwards. I glued the interior halves to the fuselage halves. The glued the fuselage halves together and finagled the interior floor up into position. I hjad to remove some tabs at the back of the floor to fit into the slot that is supposed to lock it in. I was pretty happy with the results. I was able to paint the interior and decal it and close it all up. My wing was a beautiful click fit with perfect alignment with the the wing root. I really wasn't ready for this step. But since I worried I'd never get it to fit so well a second time, I threw caution to the wind and glued it all home. 

Whereas i never was too much a Mustang guy and never really had the motivation to start my Tamiya kit, all those discussions really make me want to start one of my Revell Mustang build. One of them will be Glamorous Glen II, the other one certainly a NMF one. ;)

Sometime we probably take our hobby too serious. Revell has given us a new modern kit of the iconic Mustang at a very competitive price compared to other manufacturers. We as modellers are all different persons and as a result approach our hobby/problems in a different way. The pics I have seen of the "booboo's" let me think that I would do that different or not. But what amazes me is the many pages on LSP alone that have been spent on the "faults" of this kit. People falling over each other to show the faults and others who say there aren't any.

Perhaps we should just build these kits in the in progress page and enjoy and learn from the various builders what can be done with this kit.

Just an observation

Cheers :innocent:

Cees

Edited by Cees Broere