Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

I agree Cees. If I built a kit of a Mustang, and to me it looks like a Mustang sitting on my shelf, I will be happy. If someone comes to my place and says 'Oh dear, your gun barrels are 0.5mm out of scale;, I will tell him where and how to get off the bus. 

Rivet counting takes the fun out of it. My 2c.  

I did the wing assembly last night, for the most part it went pretty well, the whole wing went together well and quick.

The front gun port/lower wing leading edge required some fiddling to get to fit. it took me about an hour to assemble the wing, most of that time was spent trimming, sanding, waiting for glue to dry, gluing the next part, then finally leaving a glue soaked fingerprint in the wing topside. 

:oops:

I spent a little extra time sanding the radiator pack and cockpit tub to get a better fit of the rear fuselage halves. I improved it a bit, however, its clear there is no avoiding filler on the spine, its going to need it.

On the plus side, the wing fit to the fuselage is great, its almost a glue and forget it joint. I also pre-fit the exhaust ports, chin intake, and lower cowl. I did determine that the lower cowl can be left off until exhausts are installed, however, there would be gaps. I determined that since I am building a NMF bird, I can paint the manifolds, shrouds, and fuselage side panels, then mask it all off. The chin intake is a particularily poor fit, and will require a bit of filler too. Good news is, as soon as I get the shrouds painted and installed, I can close everything up and get to filling! 

This seems to be the theme with this Revell, some seams are perfect, some require filler, I guess I have been spoiled by WIngnuts.

Where does it tell you to do that? Instruction steps 18 and 19 shows adding the tail halves being added to the fuselage halves. The only instruction to cut something in those two steps is to open the flashed over hole on top of the fuselage for the antenna mast. I didn't cut off the mating fingers and my fit isn't too bad, but I could see cutting off the mounting fingers could allow more tweaking of the fir.

Look at Steps 18 & 19. Check the circled areas. Kinda vague and confusing but I finally figured it out. Remove those tabs and things will straighten out. I expect you will need to keep the fingers with the filleted tail version

Edited by Night Hog

Look at Steps 18 & 19. Check the circled areas. Kinda vague and confusing but I finally figured it out. Remove those tabs and things will straighten out. I expect you will need to keep the fingers with the filleted tail version

As Dave stated before, the only cut instruction is to open a hole (for a light, not the antenna mast):

wqgtUO3.jpg

For anyone interested, the instructions are posted online: 

https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/03944_%23BAU_P51D5NA_MUSTANG_EARLYVERSION.PDF

HTH,

D

the tamiya is  not a click fit either. Particularly the  engine compartment with those  xxxxing  magnets the panel do not fit right easily  I ended up gluing mine on.  Same with the  spit lX

Ditto on both. Those magnetic cowlings are a bad idea. I hope the designer responsible no longer works in the scale model department at Tamiya.

Ditto on both. Those magnetic cowlings are a bad idea. I hope the designer responsible no longer works in the scale model department at Tamiya.

Now works for the non-magnetic Marketing Department where things that look too clever are more carefully prototyped and tested with real customers.

Rick

I agree Cees. If I built a kit of a Mustang, and to me it looks like a Mustang sitting on my shelf, I will be happy. If someone comes to my place and says 'Oh dear, your gun barrels are 0.5mm out of scale;, I will tell him where and how to get off the bus. 

I am fortunate (or perhaps unfortunate) that so far noone who has come to my house and seen my models has any clue what they are looking at. To them it is all American planes and German planes (maybe they'll recognize the British and Japanese) and Tigers and Shermans, oh my.

No, rivet counting takes the fun out of it for you.

Regarding the P-51 (or any other non USMC aircraft), if it looks like a P-51, then I will be happy and content building it out of the box. However, I thoroughly enjoy being a rivet counter when it comes to aircraft like the AV-8B, F/A-18, AH-1W, etc., etc.

Some modelers get their enjoyment from just building kits as they come.

Some modelers get their enjoyment from 'rivet counting' and correcting any real or perceived imperfections (regardless of how insignificant they may appear to others).

Enjoy the hobby the way you want to enjoy it and let others enjoy it the way they want to.

However, I thoroughly enjoy being a rivet counter when it comes to aircraft like the AV-8B, F/A-18, AH-1W, etc., etc.

I'm usually like that, preferring to model using a lot of reference material. I'm taking this the other way and having a great time

Richard