Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

Not a huge deal at all but the hydraulic access panel present on the cowl panel immediately forward of the windscreen needs to be removed.  It was not present on P-51D-5NA, -5NT or P-51K-1NT's.  The reason for the door was for an improved hydraulic reservoir that had a filler port in it similar to the oil filler cap.  Previous reservoirs had to have the entire panel removed and the reservoir cover removed (6 or 8 screws on the cover) to be serviced.  Of course, if the hydraulic reservoir was changed (if possible and for whatever reason) to the later type, you may find this door present on the subject aircraft.  Sorry quang, I "stole" one of your images to illustrate which panel needs to be filled/removed.

UFhoMb4.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

The kit propeller is based on a table of ordinates and dimensions. As provided in the kit, it is as accurate as it can get in angles, contours and thickness.

I do not have the Eduard prop, I cannot comment on it.

Radu

And is also a feathering prop, so one set of angles on the prop tells you very little. If the prop had been at a different setting, the angle in that place would be different

It's the variation of angle along the blade that might matter, more important for a model is the outline looking from the front

And - I don't have the reference material you have so it's a bit pointless me arguing with someone who has done the legwork

^_^

Richard

The Revell instructions show a blurb about filling that panel in.

Awesome.  I don't even think Tamiya got that one right but I don't have the kit instructions any longer so I really can't say for sure.

Edited by Juggernut

you may be confusing a variable pitch prop with a full feathering one.

Indeed. Variable pitch is what I meant when I wrote feathering

My point on comparing 'blade angles' between manufacturers is still relevant

Richard

A new resin single piece upper cowling to replace the two-piece one in the kit - that takes about 15 seconds with some sandpaper to remove the seam?  Give me a break.  

Especially when the resin one is not the right length!  [Note: comment was about 1/48 Spitfires.]

Indeed. Variable pitch is what I meant when I wrote feathering

My point on comparing 'blade angles' between manufacturers is still relevant

Richard

Indeed... I deleted my previous post as it was way too long-winded.

Step 17

Ah, step 17 in the Revell instructions.  I struggled to find anything about eliminating the access panel in the Tamiya instructions in step 17....  There were no instructions to eliminate the access panel, in the entire Tamiya manual.  Another Tamiya "whoopsie".  Damned if it doesn't make the Tamiya P-51D kit unbuildable now!   :whistle:   Damn the rotten luck; and I've built two (only finished one though)!

Edited by Juggernut

Ah, step 17 in the Revell instructions.  I struggled to find anything about eliminating the access panel in the Tamiya instructions in step 17....  There were no instructions to eliminate the access panel, in the entire manual.  Another Tamiya "whoopsie".

Whoops - yes. I only have the Revell kit, which is slowly gaining paint

Richard