F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

MY GOD MAN !! Just frekin awesome. What did you use for the hyd. line in the nose wheel well ? Stretched sprue ? It came out perfect......Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Dan, Vandy, K1 Harv.

Harv, the line in the nose wheel well is EZ Line, just like the wire bundles and throttle quadrant rods.

I actually did some dry fitting of the cockpit parts and cockpit.

Amazingly, even with all the additions to the pit made, thanks in part to scrapping off the glueing surfaces on both the cockpit and the sidewalls, the cockpit fits in its final position quite well. Although just as I had suspected, some of my work won't really be visible in the end:

20180107_015202-XL.jpg

20180107_015154-XL.jpg

20180107_015238-XL.jpg

In the end I'm still very glad I did the work I did, and am anxious to get to the point of closing the fuselage.

Cheers!

Thanks guys. Im enjoying the work so far. I dont expect that to hold true throughout the build, as there are some up-coming sections that I can foresee some issues with, but again nothing that I wont be able to handle.

Having solved the nose gear issues (hopefully) I seemingly have checked off 1 out of 3 of my known major issues with the kit. There are several other much more minor issues to solve going forward, but Im hoping those will work themselves out with much less drama than the big three.

Solving the nose gear issue, leaves the MLG issue, and much more pressing and coming up much sooner, the wing re-scribe issue.

I still have not 100% clarified which method I will go with to fix the wing, but one way or another, it will get fixed soon, as the wing attachment stage is coming up rapidly, and I need to fix that lower wing section prior to  wing assembly, and wing attachment.

Cheers

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Outstanding progress and a pleasure to follow your progress. At this point the nose gear wheel well and nose gear look beautifully done and the front office; what can I say - spot on! Just so glad you bit the bullet and litrrally took the Tiger by the tail and went to work with your majic.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Peter, John thanks for the kind words.

Thanks John, Yes indeed it does!  Cramped as hell, but that is nothing new to aviation cockpits since their inception it seems. It just seems like some are much more cramped than others. 
If you ever seen the F7F in person, or in flight, its a HUGE fighter. It looks especially large if you've ever seen one in formation with much of anything else from its own era such as an F4U, P-51 F6F, F5F, F8F or the like, but its cockpit is surprisingly small for such a large aircraft. John, I was just reading up on your adventures in salt weathering on your gorgeous 109.............I may have to rethink that on the Tigercat!  Actually I was thinking maybe of even making this one a bit more clean. Not shiny clean, but semi-gloss with some dirt.

Here is a super short (and kind of crappy) vid of a formation fly by I took at the Reno Championship air-races back in 2013, with an F7F, F6F, F8F, P-51, and a trailing Spit. Its only a few seconds long, but gives you an idea of the T-Cats enormous size compared to its contemporaries:

Awesome video!  I love, more than anything, hearing that roar of those supercharged engines whenever I get the rare opportunity to see a vintage WW2 aircraft flying.  I messed up on the salt fading but hopefully I haven't scared people off from a really cool technique because of my ineptitude.  Oh and I love the throttle body... the wiring to the actuators and rods below almost seem functional... very hard to do in a 1/32 cockpit.