1/18 Fairey Firefly VX376

airscale

Fantastic work, i can't wait to see the finished article.

I was doing some web surfing and came across this page showing some very high res photos of the aeroplanes attending Oshkosh 2019, amongst them are some pictures of the AS-6 currently airworthy in the states.

If you click on the photo your're interested in it takes you to it's source page, then select the "view all sizes" options which will options up to 6k resolution.

You may find them useful for close up detail, there's one of the rear canopy hanging open for instance & you can see the detail of the latching mechanism.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaairventureoshkosh/albums/72157710677293302/page2

Peter,

Nice work on that canopy.  Paul Fisher and I were playing around with this plane once upon a time.  That dang canopy was by far the most difficult shape; you nailed it.  Glad to see this one see light again.  There are so many British subjects the have a unique beauty to them, the Firefly is no exception.

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...

evening all :)

thanks for your kind replies :)

On 10/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Amazing as always, Peter! Would it be possible to simply make copies of your existing canopy master in resin and use those for the pulls instead?

Kev

On 10/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, jenshb said:

Those wheelwells looks like a challenge for anyone Peter.  Regarding the canopy, could you not make a silicone mould of your canopies and then cast a copy in resin?  Or the Herculite filler?

On 10/19/2021 at 9:02 AM, dodgem37 said:

Good show, Peter.  I'm no Tigger, but I cast the master in resin before I pull a vac.  Just sayin.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Kev, Jens & Mark - I likely will (and have done before with the Spit), its just faff I was trying to shirk - certainly the rear plug would waste a lot of resin/rubber so I will try that using the herculite stuff for that..

On 10/24/2021 at 12:09 PM, Sage the Owl said:

Fantastic work, i can't wait to see the finished article.

I was doing some web surfing and came across this page showing some very high res photos of the aeroplanes attending Oshkosh 2019, amongst them are some pictures of the AS-6 currently airworthy in the states.

If you click on the photo your're interested in it takes you to it's source page, then select the "view all sizes" options which will options up to 6k resolution.

You may find them useful for close up detail, there's one of the rear canopy hanging open for instance & you can see the detail of the latching mechanism.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaairventureoshkosh/albums/72157710677293302/page2

Thanks for that - some really useful pics there :)

On 10/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, Timmy! said:

Peter,

Nice work on that canopy.  Paul Fisher and I were playing around with this plane once upon a time.  That dang canopy was by far the most difficult shape; you nailed it.  Glad to see this one see light again.  There are so many British subjects the have a unique beauty to them, the Firefly is no exception.

Timmy!

Thanks Timmy! I spoke to Paul a lot a while back about doing the PE for the Firefly- we shared references and I sent him the stuff I did for this build but in 1/32 to see what he wanted to use - such a shame circumstances took over and what would have been a showstopping kit will never see the light of day :(

so, no real building to speak of, but I have been busy modelling some of the 3D bits I will need..

starting with the spinner - the outline was traced from a good side profile & the hub & backplate are a seperate assembly with the right spacing for everything - at least I don't have to skin this with metal - I will just wwork the rivet detail into the primer when the time comes..

pR9OPo.jpg

vNur5M.jpg

..and how it seperates..

Ma3TkY.jpg

..next were the Griffon exhausts which are pretty complicated for little old me to get my head around in Rhino...

XYREFO.jpg

..they are in banks of 6 set to the angle of the cylinder head - I have yet to find out if the tips will print or be too fragile..

QKrPPd.jpg

IeC3rw.jpg

..and lastly the mainwheels & tyres - the period tyre has a block tread, not like the resto birds of today that probably use a 737 nosewheel tyre or something..

VFP7CD.jpg

..photo's like these can be imported into Rhino to serve as the plan to draw from - very useful..

..that said I did need to reach out to Tim Perry for some help as some of my modelling was a bit 'fast & loose' and 3D requires absolute precision, but with a bit of email guidance on how to troubleshoot some bad surfaces here we are..

ZdawuF.jpg

49u9y2.jpg

..still got some other bits to do like the tailwwheel and I might try the control column as thats a bit funky aswell, but it was these parts I was fretting over - especially the exhausts..

until next time - see you at Telford if you are going - I have a stand in Hall 2 so pop over and say hello :)

Peter

On 11/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, JayW said:

Peter - magnificent Rhino work my friend.  But I must have fallen off the wagon - are you starting up a Griffon Spitfire?  What scale - 1/32?

Oh never mind.  Brain fart.  I didn't realize the Firefly was Griffon powered.