1/18 Fairey Firefly VX376

airscale

Hi everyone :)

On 7/18/2021 at 8:51 PM, bdthoresen said:

Last time I was at Duxford they had a late model Firefly in storage that was a target tug at some point. She was easily accessible, and appeared complete. You might try reaching out to them?

THOR    :ph34r:

Hi Thor - thanks for that - I need to check this as if it's the yellow one, I think that is an earlier Firefly with the chin scoop, but it sure would be helpful if it is a late on. in fact I expect many of the details / panels / rivet patterns were common

On 7/19/2021 at 6:10 AM, scvrobeson said:

Now, about that potential Goshawk build. *prods Peter with stick to build one*. But which version of the Goshawk? F11, or BF2C?

Matt 

Hi Matt - it was the F11 - I just quite liked the look of it and think I found one with quite a bit of natural metal skinning :) maybe one day

On 7/22/2021 at 12:15 AM, TorbenD said:

Haven’t dropped by LSP for quite a while... looks like my timing could not have been better!

After the sublime job you did on the Hawker Fury, I’m soooo glad you’ve picked this one up again Peter :popcorn:

Hi Torben - welcome back my friend - hope all is well :)

so, I thought I would drop in a quick update even though it is partially one step backwards to get two steps forwards in parts..

I started by making up the rear cockpit sidewalls and starting to detail them with the gizmo's I can see in pics..

also the structural parts like ribs and a big angled beam that traverses each side..

rsT1Pt.jpg

..these nestle under the rear decking..

4fYoTd.jpg

..also made up the basic floor & rear seat mount, with what I think are battery mount trays forward - as this is a target tug, I am not sure yet if the actual batteries were in it, but the trays certainly were..

eNWDRx.jpg

..painted up some of the stuff and made up some fuse / breaker boxes that live somewhere here on the sidewalls too..

..there are a bunch of decals I am having made that have all the labels etc for the IP & gizmo's but they won't arrive until the end of August..

PV1WMF.jpg

..in the rear, the sidewalls are not fixed, they have spot CA to hold them in place while I shape the outsides to conform with the fuselage - I wanted to do the same at the front cockpit in adding removable walls so I can detail the interior without having to do keyhole surgery..

only problem was, when I added the sidewalls and was getting the aperture square, I noticed the entire upper fuselage between the cockpits was pissed to one side, so nothing for it but to chop out all the skin and structure and start again..

CTDCdH.jpg

..it was this axis that was off - all the bulkheads were not in a line so new ones added..

lUJQ72.jpg

you can also see where the forward fuselage where the IP sort of sits was off as well - the black lined template shows where the skin should be..

dG5VEl.jpg

..this was all redone & reskinned - much happier now..

wJzLCj.jpg

..canopy rails also let into the structure..

9onNub.jpg

..seat bulkhead is now right..

Z3mS45.jpg

same with forward bulkhead..

K2CbgE.jpg

..I need to work out how best to do the cockpit now - I might chop out both fuselage sides, or I may cut out one so I can get inside - the rear sides will just break away..

Be8t63.jpg

.. a long way to go, but at least the basic airframe is in order now..

TTFN

Peter

On 8/4/2021 at 11:45 PM, airscale said:

Hi Thor - thanks for that - I need to check this as if it's the yellow one, I think that is an earlier Firefly with the chin scoop, but it sure would be helpful if it is a late on. in fact I expect many of the details / panels / rivet patterns were common

ARCo's Firefly is indeed an early one, a former Swedish target tug that (thankfully) is in the restoration queue. Hopefully it can be of some help to your build! If you'd like to find some pics online her rego was SE-BRG - lots of results when Googled ^_^

And I never knew the origins of this project.  I wonder Peter - as long as you have been at this sport, have you learned anything new since 2017 when you started this?  3D print wasn't around in 2017, methinks.  For instance.

BTW - your work on those impossible areas like wing fillet fairings is incredible!    

On 8/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, KiwiZac said:

ARCo's Firefly is indeed an early one, a former Swedish target tug that (thankfully) is in the restoration queue. Hopefully it can be of some help to your build! If you'd like to find some pics online her rego was SE-BRG - lots of results when Googled ^_^

Aw man your right, Zac. She appears to be a TT1. Sorry for the false lead, Peter. I saw her about 12 years ago, and even in it’s sad state at the time, I was still fascinated by the lines of that aircraft. Good hunting on some later mark information, but I am sure you will find it! Keep up the amazing work!

Thor    :ph34r:

Hi everyone & thank you :)

On 8/6/2021 at 1:28 PM, JayW said:

And I never knew the origins of this project.  I wonder Peter - as long as you have been at this sport, have you learned anything new since 2017 when you started this?  3D print wasn't around in 2017, methinks.  For instance.

BTW - your work on those impossible areas like wing fillet fairings is incredible!    

Hi Jay :) well, I was using 3D back then - my Spit had 3D wheels & Spinner so that was where I really started to learn how to use it - definately learned a lot of new stuff though - my last model was fully scratched and for the first time I made a basswood buck which Tigger vacformed for me, plus rigging a biplane & representing fabric was all new so plenty in the toolchest for future models :)

I have been busying myself with the Firefly - having sorted out the upper fuselage shape I could get back to trying to make the forward cockpit fuselage walls and do it in such a way I could still get inside to detail it..

I started by skinning the walls and the cockpit coaming at the front - I figured if I just built it all first I could figure out access after..

y38pWX.jpg

..then I decided to just cut away the walls and front to have one cockpit skin 'pod' and then drew up some line drawings for the structure & components..

XYz5nG.jpg

..after skinning the inner walls with litho (after scribing key locations) I added the station ribs from plastic or litho...

rlzTP2.jpg

..also developed the basic floor - it was higher than when I originally cut the fuselage way back when..

J77ECJ.jpg

..and the basic structure starts to come together - the gaps all close up when squeezed..

gJG554.jpg

vT3zil.jpg

..with the basic structure done, I wanted to get down some paint as otherwise it all becomes a bit difficult to cover all the nooks & crannies - in looking at the refs I have, the bird I am doing has a 'black' cockpit, but when seen here it is quite grey - I realise this is under flash photography, but it is still not black as you can see in the contrast between switch panels & structure..

hyuFHC.jpg

..I had been using a tamiya rattle can of Nato black as thats quite a good tonal black, but I thought it too dark, so I mixed some MRP super matt black and blue grey and shot that over everything after priming..

..a quick scour with 0000 wire wool to lift some detail and they are done..

..rear walls, floor & bulkhead..

xbrk30.jpg

upper rear bulkheads

yE8Wbj.jpg

..rear deck..

XbNTkp.jpg

..cockpit pod..

QZtPFL.jpg

..pilots seat bulkhead..

bPelhx.jpg

..cockpit floor..

MZVocK.jpg

..and I am happier with the colour now..

QQpIEC.jpg

rGNJb5.jpg

..now all I need to do is make dozens of detail parts like this one - the throttle quadrant..

wcTzXt.jpg

..it's missing it's labelling, but the custom decals are due soon so I can get stuck into the IP and stuff I really enjoy :)

TTFN

Peter