F-4E Phantom II in Hill Grey

BloorwestSiR

Holy smokes!  That is some outfit of cannons!  Did this loadout ever see combat service?

Gaz

NOPE ! This configuration never saw combat service on the "ECHO".

It was however used by CHARLIE-/DELTA-models during the Vietnam-conflict (occasionally).

It's even highly unlikely that an ECHO-model would have ever been fitted with gun-pod's (other than for airshow-purposes) since it was already fitted with a 20mm canon (primarily for self-defense, secondarily for strafing). Besides, why equip it with gun-pod's to put some holes in a truck when You can take out the whole convoy with some MK.82's...? (and still have the standard 20mm for self-defense & strafing...)

Just my 2c of course...

Never-the-less, we (as a modeler) are allowed some "free interpretation", aren't we ?  :whistle:  

Kind regards,

Rudy

NOPE ! This configuration never saw combat service on the "ECHO".

It was however used by CHARLIE-/DELTA-models during the Vietnam-conflict (occasionally).

It's even highly unlikely that an ECHO-model would have ever been fitted with gun-pod's (other than for airshow-purposes) since it was already fitted with a 20mm canon (primarily for self-defense, secondarily for strafing). Besides, why equip it with gun-pod's to put some holes in a truck when You can take out the whole convoy with some MK.82's...? (and still have the standard 20mm for self-defense & strafing...)

Just my 2c of course...

Never-the-less, we (as a modeler) are allowed some "free interpretation", aren't we ? :whistle:

Kind regards,

Rudy

There was one F-4E that flew with a similar loadout in Vietnam. It was known as Chico the Gunfighter and carried the two outer SUU-23 gunpods. This was the inspiration for my build.

https://wademeyersstudios.com/workszoom/1399667

I figured I'd add the centerline gunpod as I had it in the stash.

In one of my reference books on the F-4, there is a gun harmonization chart for coordinating the aiming of the internal nose gun with the gun pods mounted on the outer wing stations. Which shows that it was possible but not necessarily practical like you said.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Well, I decided to make a slight change to my build. 

I had originally planned to build Chico the Gunfighter when I purchased the kit. I had the Two Bobs decals, the Rockeyes from the original Tamiya Strike Eagle, etc. Then I sold the decals to another forum member and pushed the project aside. 

Now that I'm closing in on the end, I figured that there's no reason this couldn't be a modern interpretation of Chico. So to that end, I've pulled out and assembled a new set of inner wing pylons, a pair of MERs, and four Rockeyes. 

DSC_0011-L.jpg

I had to put new pylons together as the Rockeyes interfer with the Sidewinder launch rails. I'll keep the centre gun pod as it's mounted already but otherwise, it'll be the same load out that Chico carried. 

Carl

Looks like no centreline gun pod on Chico. Probably needed the big jug under the guts to launch and get to the tanker with that load. Full burner loves eating gas. Superb modelling there Carl, love it.

Thanks Whitey! You're correct that Chico had the 600 gallon tank on the centerline but I've already mounted the gun pod so I'll leave it on.

Carl

Not sure how I have missed this Carl but read through your whole build log this evenin, lovely work as always and paint work looks flawless.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy!

It was originally in the Stars and Bars GB but I didn't finish in time.