F-4E Phantom II in Hill Grey

BloorwestSiR

Consoles looking great, Carl. Are they better than the Eduard color PE? How did the eye operation turn out? Obviously successful.

Don

Thanks Don! The Eduard PE doesn't include the side consoles. There's a couple instruments you add to one and a small panel to another but that's it.

Unfortunately I haven't had my surgery yet. Apparently my lenses are a bit complicated and not an off the shelf solution so I'm still waiting for them to be made and sent from Switzerland. A bit frustrating that's for sure.

Carl

• 1 month later...

With the lower wing in place, I was finally able to mount the TISEO. I started by gluing it to the lower wing first, trying to keep it flush with the wing surface.

20170915_210452-L.jpg

20170915_210607-L.jpg

20170915_210620-L.jpg

I then installed the upper wing.

20170915_212758-L.jpg

So I've managed to make a fair bit of progress and plan to move onto the engines and outer wings.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I got some more bench time today.

Here's the fuselage with both wings on.

20170916_094118-L.jpg

I then started working on the nose. I opened up the lower vents for the nose mounted M-61.

20170916_153215-L.jpg

Next up was the small vent on the top of the nose. I cut out the vent and then built the vent using sheet styrene.

20170916_151752-L.jpg

20170916_152850-L.jpg

Once that was done, I glued the nose halves together and attached them to the fuselage.

20170916_213848-L.jpg

It's starting to look more like a Phantom now.

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a bit of an update on this build. I had a hard time trying to get the GT Resin slatted outer wing panels to fit properly. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I just couldn't get them aligned properly with the inner wing sections. As far as I can tell, they weren't warped but no matter what I did, they didn't line up.

I ended up giving up on using them and used a set of Isracast ones that I had. Those needed the dihedral corrected which I did by using a thin strip of styrene.

20171012_195039-L.jpg

I also installed the AMS Resin vari-ramps to the intakes.

I then added the belly straps from Nautilus models.

20171012_195056-L.jpg

I don't even remember when I bought these but they went on just fine.

I used a scribing tool to open up the slats on the tailplanes. I'm not sure if you can make it out or not in the pic but it is visible.

20170917_170143-L.jpg

Lastly, I decided to try the assembly approach that most use for the tailplanes by separating them from the pivot and gluing in the rear exhaust section in first.

20171012_195118-L.jpg

Hopefully this won't create too much work down the road.

Carl

Your build is coming along nicely. I haven't seen this method for installing the tailplanes before. I'll need to look into it for a future build.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

For the tailplanes, supposedly this allows for a better fit of the lower exhaust section of the fuselage. I've ended up with a small step on one side. Oh well.

A tiny bit of progress, more to show that I'm still at it.

I measured out the positions and then attached the inner slat actuators.

20171016_142133-L.jpg

20171016_142140-L.jpg

I've now got to work on a pair of Halloween costumes for my two boys so it will a bit before I can get any further along.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR