Beaufighter 252 Squadron 1942

Bill_S

I've removed all raised surface detail. I roughed out cannon ejector chutes.

DSCN1321%5B1%5D.jpg

I didn't really like the way the floorboard corrugations turned out. A little CA remover, some sanding and scraping, and they're all gone. The kit corrugations look pretty good to me.

DSCN1316%5B1%5D.jpg

My dentist was old school. Before he retired, I got a bunch of lead foil from dental x-ray film.

DSCN1314%5B1%5D.jpg

I flattened against the cutting mat with a rounded end of a hobby knife.

DSCN1315%5B1%5D.jpg

Then I wrapped the plastic part with the lead.

DSCN1317%5B1%5D.jpg

I made sure the locator hole for the control column was indented into the lead, then I burnished with a toothpick.

DSCN1318%5B1%5D.jpg

Carefully trimmed with a curved hobby blade and CA'd in place on the cockpit floor:

DSCN1319%5B1%5D.jpg

Some more trimming, and it looks like this:

DSCN1320%5B1%5D.jpg

I feel better about it now. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Bill_S

Have you test fit the engines within the cowlings yet? I've found that the engines are too wide, requiring either thinning down of the cowls or sanding off the tops of the cylinders. I've opted to do the latter.

Have you test fit the engines within the cowlings yet? I've found that the engines are too wide, requiring either thinning down of the cowls or sanding off the tops of the cylinders. I've opted to do the latter.

I'm not using the kit engines, Brad. The primary reason that I chose this kit is that I bought a couple of resin engines from LSP_Dan years ago. The engines fit in the cowl, but just barely. If I need to remove material, it will probably be from the cowl panels. The engines are too nice to hack up.

DSCN1323%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Bill_S

The kit's observer's station needs attention. First up is the seat.

I put together a small jig to hold a 12.5 mm disk.

DSCN1324%5B1%5D.jpg

Held in the drill press, it allowed me to drill holes at about 5 degrees off the vertical. Loosening the screw let me rotate the disk to the next position.

DSCN1325%5B1%5D.jpg

I modified a seat left over from my N1K1. It had a step that had to be removed and filled.

DSCN1330%5B1%5D.jpg

I thinned the material quite a bit. The filler here is White Out.

DSCN1329%5B1%5D.jpg

I used Brasso as a liquid abrasive to clean up the inside, rubbing it out with a cotton swab.

DSCN1327%5B1%5D.jpg

The finished product.

Edited by Bill_S