Fw190 D-9 | 1/12th scale scratch build replica

Dry fitted the panel and added all the details just to find out that during the process of shaping the dimensions of a panel change so it won´t fit any more.

astonishing job Bernd - really clean and surgical work & very enjoyable to watch :)

for curved panels fitting between panels like this, I use 2 inch masking tape (for households) which can be burnished into the panel shape and the lines from the adjacent panels burnished with a cocktail stick - then go round with a pencil, peel it off and put it on your litho - cut it out and when you bend & shape it, it will be an exact fit :)

loving what you are doing..

Peter

Hi,

working on another panel on the fuselage bottom. This one includes a large oval hatch for fitting and removing the barrel shaped fuel tank behind the cockpit.

Panel cut to shape, acutally ~ 0.2 mm larger for final fitting.

Center-fuselage_D9_Willmer_80_zpsaa9wum9

Rivet lines and oval hatch marked with pencil lines. I apply a coat of flat clear lacquer to get the pencil some grip to adhere to the smooth lithoplate.

Center-fuselage_D9_Willmer_81_zps9m60g8o

That´s it for tonight! :-)

Hi,

back to work ... I backed the panel with a 2mm MDF for cutting the hatch and the port using a jewelier´s saw and files:

Center-fuselage_D9_Willmer_82_zpsyvrsni9

I changed the outline of the large hatch, so it´s lateral edges are now parallel to the edges of the panel. I found one good picture of an A-8 belly :-)

Center-fuselage_D9_Willmer_83_zpscimytv8

Have a nice sunday!