1/32 CF104 Italeri

MikeA

Thank you for the comments guys! Sorry about the glacial progress - lots of very fiddly jobs now.

All of the decals are on, except for the red X and red flash on either side of the rudder, which I have to learn how to create. I did strike a glitch along the way when the fuselage seam next to the slot for the strake underneath the fuselage gave way toward the end of the foiling. In the first photo you can see the resultant line in the foil. Plan A was cutting away a slither of foil, shown in the second photo, which will be hidden by the strake when fitted. The errant seam was superglued. This appears to have worked and the two fuselage  halves no longer flex alarmingly!

The Canuck Symmetrical Markings decals are beautiful to use, although they do need to be handled with care. The long thin ones did cause me some grief, but got there in the end. I just used water and Microset on them. The only annoying thing is that the flag markings on the rudder are slightly translucent and should have been placed on white decal rectangles - which I did not have available. That aside, they gave me the best result I have had from decals yet - almost perfect. You can only barely make out the remaining decal film on a couple of the smaller stencils by looking carefully under oblique light. For the rest, the film is all but invisible. Good enough for me.

The bang seat is now in place although not fixed: it slides up and down the rails, although whether it will when the open canopy is in place remains unknown. It would be nice to not have all of the details behind and beneath the seat completely lost from view forever more.

Now it's on to teaching myself how to make decals. It could be a while .........

44516949832_977146283c_c.jpg

30696045878_170927f766_c.jpg

43848175984_67205db01c_c.jpg

30696047388_1d4c181a41_c.jpg

The seat in its rightful place.

42757061790_a050b0b0ac_c.jpg

42757046570_8358a60351_c.jpg

The open weapons bay is represented by matt black paint on which the central pylon will sit, leaving a fine black border along the sides where the pylon should appear to be sitting inside the bay.

30696046588_143a0e9531_c.jpg

42757045410_4fabfdffb6_c.jpg

43656959865_06013065cf_c.jpg

42757044810_623e267a42_c.jpg

44516920462_64a608bf1b_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by MikeA
Redundant Flickr titles removed

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Really great foil work her. Glad you got the decals worked out!  Did you use anything under them before using Microset on them?

Thanks Brian. I just used Microset both under and on top of the decals. If you don’t use anything underneath them they stick as soon as they hit the foil. Being extremely thin, they don’t like being moved around too much once they’re on.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Pretty much all finished now - at long last. Doing the last of the decals was a bit of a trial. I tried various ways of printing them on the Canon Pixma. They looked great on the decal sheet and after the second trial I managed to get them coated with a spray fixer without having any colour bleed, but there was no way I could get them onto the plane. They either collapsed or were almost transparent or both. Maybe printing on white decal sheet may have helped. In the end I surrendered and sent the art work off to Wessex Transfers in Tasmania to get them printed. Rob did a fine job - and gave me four sets of spares. If anyone wants one, send me a message. I'll give them away if you're keen on doing an Aete Cf 104. Anyway, the markings on the vertical stab went on like a dream.

There are some annoying inaccuracies, but only minor in the scheme of things. I've yet to get one perfect and I invariably forget the errors after a few months! The overall look is pretty much what I was after. 

I'll take some more photos after a final check over the bits of weathering that are on the model. In the meantime, a photo of the decals and a couple of the finished airframe. 

43427506670_bf63fb3d90_c.jpg

43427505550_a60995c6c2_c.jpg

44329801565_d8ac5d6ed8_c.jpg

And finally a couple of photos of the other project at the moment - a target with a couple of very small aircraft involved.

43427506390_e08745e9cc_c.jpg

44329802565_0d73255a05_c.jpg

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and help along the way. I am sorry it took such a long time, but at least I got my moneys worth out of the kit!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by MikeA
Redundant Flickr titles removed