Yakovlev Yak-3, Special Hobby

Muddi

Hi Guys,

As you've probably gathered, I only got my Yak today but I've noticed that some of you have had trouble mating the wings to the fuselage.

I've spent the evening fiddling and I may have worked out why it's not too good a fit Viz a Viz fuselage/wing and it's an easy fix.

The sides of the fuselage have a rebate cut in them. It's meant to fit over a strip moulded each side of the fuselage floor/wing. BUT it's shorter than the raised strip so it'll never fit!

EASY FIX: take 1mm off each end of each strip. That's it. Nice floating joint you can tinker with. Working time about 45 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Todays topic: Self-inflicted problems!

Fog on the inside of the canopy. Filling the seams with super glue may not have been such a good idea, even with a canopy dipped in future:

29984141555_9c637431c9_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_032 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

Decided to cut it open, clean it from the inside and to replace the sliding hood with the second canopy part that was in the box:

29870312362_2ae7b4aeaa_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_033 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

29984139905_104ca79db5_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_034 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

Cleaning the canopy from the inside was no problem anymore. But got myself into the next problem: The rear canopy cracked while I cut open the middle part... No way to solve this, but to replace it: 

29357505133_87394c4186_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_035 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

This time I glued it with Micro Kristal Klear:

29690226930_281238340e_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_036 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

Now I have to clean the joints (again), mask (again) and paint it (again).

In between cursing and dealing with the problems above, I assembled the prop:

29949979766_d32b4ea7f9_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_037 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

Nico

Oh, thanks for mentioning the panel line. As it is quite prominent, i'm going to fill it. I hope I can manage to restore the paint job afterwards...

Very nice spinner masks - any particular trick to get good masks on that? Always a challenge to mask those surfaces for me :)

Tamiya flexible masking tape! Easy to mask curved surfaces with it.

Filled in the nonexistent panel line. Fixed the canopy and built canopy guide rails on the cockpit sills out of plastic strips. Weathering by post-shading and panelliners from Ammo and AK. Decided I leave the wing root chipping as is, did not want to strip the paint and paint again.

29376586214_0df74ab80b_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_038 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

29710233030_768115d99e_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_039 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

29890584432_2675bcb8c8_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_040 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

30004094635_cef5445d14_b.jpg

WIP_Yak-3_041 by bastelnvormbalkon, auf Flickr

Next: Some touch ups to do, final clear coat, weathering with pencils and adding the remaining smaller parts (landing gear!).

I hope I will finish her next week.

Nico

Really looks great!

Lovely work so far, Im VERY tempted to buy this kit. 

Totally agree. Also, I think that supporting any company who will put out VVS fighters in "our" scale should be supported. We've been asking for it for years, so it's probably time I put my money where my mouth is and hope that it spurs more kits (like Lagg-3 and La-5 series, for starters!).

Again, seriously good work, Nico!

John

...... I think that supporting any company who will put out VVS fighters in "our" scale should be supported. We've been asking for it for years, so it's probably time I put my money where my mouth is and hope that it spurs more kits (like Lagg-3 and La-5 series, for starters!).

Again, seriously good work, Nico!

X2 John! 

Good tip on that panel line, and adding the canopy rails. We ALL know where the devil exists............

...Decided I leave the wing root chipping as is, did not want to strip the paint and paint again...

Hi Nico,

look at this photo:

ReneChalleNiemen35-big_zps05864266.jpg

Striping color is not necessery.

Original plane has a darker repainting under the board number "I" and that repainting goes over wing root, at least partially. So you could simple partially repaint wing root closer to the trailing edge with the darked grey and chipping just bellow the cockpit left as it is.

Anyhow, your work is exellent.

regards,

66misos