AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

That is sweet, Wouter! You have to offer that IP for sale! Cockpit is terrific!

Thanks Ray. I will offer the IP for sale. I just have to find some time to set up a shop at Shapeways. I will make some additional pictures and instructions to make life a little easier for those interested. Just watch this space and sooner or later it will be for sale. The price should be around $6 (us dollar) or €5 euro excluding shipping.

That small instrument panel from Shapeways is really integral to the cockpit isn't it!  Cockpit looks spectacular!

Looking fantastic Wouter. The front end looks busy and snug. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with the results too. Indeed it must have been pretty cramped with three guys in the cockpit. Not to mention the heat under that big glasshouse...

IP is complete! I installed the Fug217 viewing device. Take note that this device was actually not attached to the instrument bar but rather to the canopy. Since i won't be able to do that (well technically I could, but the risk of falling/breaking from the canopy would be to great of a risk) I had to adjust a little. I created a little bracket from brass. This bracket is attached to the instrument bar and then protrudes to the front. The sichtgerät (viewing device) is then attached to this bracket. The bracket itself is almost invisible due to all te wires beneath it and the little Fug217 controller in front. Lastly I attached some brass rods which represent the actual attachment points.

bWOLbNQ.jpg?2

FP2HhCd.jpg?2

tnUxSZi.jpg?2

ClZHWy4.jpg

Cheers, Wouter

Fantastic work! The IP is impressive!

(Just what I need to finish the old darn "1/48 Aardvark Ju 388 conversion that sits on my s.o.d. for the past decade.)

though, I always wonder where the observers leggs go when seated behind the pilot...

The observer seat folds out sideways, this is just the stowed position. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to enter the AC from the hatch below. I'll see if I can make a little sketch to explain.

Edited by Wouter

I made a little drawing explaining how the observer seat works (well best guess).

Here's the seat in it's stowed postion behind the pilots seat.

Side view

9yU6PW1.jpg?1

6BQYIhW.jpg?1

Front

I3uomW0.jpg?1

And here it's in  the fold out position. I haven't figured out the exact mechanism yet, but the seat has arms attached and during the fold out these pivot the seat not only sideways, but also up to about the same height as the other two seats. I hope the pictures are self explanatory enough.

Side view

aTncTi6.jpg?1

jXkP7cw.jpg?1

Front

113VZz4.jpg?1

This construction was a necessity, otherwise the observer seat would block the entry hatch ( the large hole behind the seat in the fold out position).

And for the icing on the cake, here's the one and only picture I found of the illusive observer seat!

Q5khFnc.jpg

Cheers, Wouter