AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Ha, thanks. But it's not so sharp as it might seam. I guess I'll have to do some serious touch up after painting, but we'll see.

In another very lengthy session I finished the inside of the canopy. Framework, details like handle's, light fixture, wiring and not to forget the moisture taps in (almost) every corner. All 22 of them.. gasp. In finished of with painting the framing. In the picture it looks a bit messy because I didn't paint the whole frame on the inside, only the ribs. I figured this won't be seen when I have painted the outside framing.

qh4ojHx.jpg?1

So, this was the last step before closing the cockpit. Before I'll do that I'm going to take some better pictures of all the details, so I can always look at those when I mess up  :frantic:  !

Till next time,

Wouter

All 22 moisture taps!?The say both God, and the Devil, are in the details. Either way, Wouter, this build may seem like hell to you at times, but it's becoming a heavenly for the rest of us to watch. I feel like I'm tuning In to watch the next episode of a really exciting TV show, but I never know when the nest episode is coming....and that just adds to the excitement.  

Keep it up!!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

PS And thanks for the kind words re: the W.12!

Thanks guys, glad to be of service and nice to hear you'll like it so far .

Well, to put my money where my mouth is I dug op my dslr. The cockpit was placed on a makeshift photobooth to get some decent pictures. The dslr does take a lot better pictures then my mobile, so I should do it more often. I made the picture pretty highres, but tried to keep the filesize down for those on crappy internet.

Now this is done I'll guess I'm going to close up the cockpit/canopy this weekend.

Enjoy!

X8h8yWh.jpg

I3XPcWl.jpg

2E3f4ue.jpg

DqHJOcA.jpg

hWJdqpM.jpg

ygx96M7.jpg

hiLBl0z.jpg

qg5iC0x.jpg

SBxXdP5.jpg

jPj1Mwj.jpg

Just a quick pic before going off to bed. The canopy is attached to the cockpit. First with just a few drops of CA and after that was set I ran epoxy through all the joints. This was left to dry for 24 hours. Currently working on blending everything together by eliminating unwanted seams, restoring details and corrections on the canopy fairing. Everything looks really messy right now, but we'll get it sorted out.

Cheers, Wouter

Vtxn5mq.jpg?1

Dear Wouter, this is a picture of your before bedtime? Mine generally included bunny rabbits, cows and the moon. (Or Penelope Cruz.) Yours is far more interesting.

Please tell me what sort of epoxy you're using. The 2 part epoxy that I use is far too viscous to be able to use after the parts are in place. I would love to find an epoxy thin enough to run into seams after they are somewhat joined. Do you know what I mean?

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I use Hph epoxy. It takes 24 hours to dry, but is as clear as glass and will level out on itself. After curing the bond is only broken by brute force. This attribute is very handy in that the epoxy will fill seams through capillary force. The stuff comes in two bottles with a 'drip' function. Just two drops of resin and one drop of hardener gives you a perfect mixing ratio. Most of the times I use a toothpick, take a drop of epoxy and hold it against the seam I want to glue. The drop will pull itself in the seam and that's that. Just make sure to leave it for at least 24 hours, so clamps, tape or rubber bands are needed to hold everything in place.

Hph epoxy should be readily available, but you can also buy directly from HpH models: http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/accessories/33-specialni-dvouslozkove-epoxydove-lepidlo.html

Cheers, Wouter