AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Thanks guys! The canopy can be fitted right, but I'm sure glad that I have a few spare.

Big update incoming.

Last week my IP from Shapeways arrived in a rather big box.

uX2fJk4.jpg

Lot's of bubble wrapping

HeGH28O.jpg

Inside a tiny plastic bag containing the even smaller 3D printed parts

7HJcuVh.jpg

Exciting, let's get it out shall we?

N2KdFyh.jpg

Certainly looks like what I made. With a coin for scale

yxZ7EQz.jpg

lHnMTTI.jpg

First impression, pretty good. All important detail is there. Material is pretty hard and slightly translucent, but can take some handling. On the back side there's still some support wax (needed during printing) visible. So far, so good.

More...

The instruments are nicely rendered on the backside. With some magnification you can see the printlines.

B7CZhVW.jpg

foCFC7Y.jpg

And after a coat of Mr. surfacer 1200 the detail comes out:

kWSA4Y6.jpg?1

PPTLjRo.jpg?1

In short, I'm pretty happy with the results. Certainly a good canvas to work on. Now, let's get on with the build.

More...

While waiting for the IP I used My time to figure out a few things. As posted a earlier i did some tests with the canopy inner and outer framing. The test canopy did not have a good rendering of the frame but the canopy I wanted to use did have. So this means I don't need to use the Tamiya tape technique. But one thing I noticed after I gave the canopy a dip of future, was a severe yellowing. At first I did not know why, but then it downed on me; I let the model on my bench for over a year, right by the window. Sadly one year in dayligth was enough to cause the yellowing.

Lucky for me, I still had another canopy to work with. Now was a good time as any to get the lower and upper part of the canopy just right. Therefore I used a slightly wider styrene strip on the upper part. With some careful glueing and placement I have a nice ledge on which the lower part slots. This ensures a, well not perfect, but pretty good fit with almost no visible line between the parts. I'm confident that I'll get the last bit right with some slow drying epoxy from HPH.

hn8Tjd4.jpg?1

A60nSAl.jpg?1

Another thing I need was the fairing on the backside of the canopy. I made this from a 0.12 mm brass sheet. After several iterations I made one which did the job.

BS12I2T.jpg?1

Bl7yl3O.jpg?1

More...

With the IP in my hands, i started further painting and detailing. For the decals I used the excellent Airscale series. They fit on the instruments, instead of in and thus needed some encouragement with decal setting solution to fit. After drying, i added a drop of HpH's slow drying epoxy to seal de decals and create a litlle 'glass'.

OM05u2M.jpg?1

78yDqsc.jpg?2

On the backside I added all the necessary wires. The wires will help holding the IP to the instrument panel bar. The real thing was anchored on the bar and on the canopy, but that is not possible with this model. 

P2pxQnS.jpg?2

More....

With the IP finished I slowly can start thinking about wrapping up on the cockpit. Some pictures of the state it's in right now. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but here's what I added:

- rear cockpit armor plate above the radio units.

- observer seat 

- pilot's seat

- control stick

- more details on the 'peiltochterkompass' (the big one on the right side

- added the IP to the instrument bar

- added the oxygen instrument's to the instrument bar

- added a control valve for the airconditioning

tWfJPeq.jpg

ndRv4nY.jpg

yjsPznu.jpg

IHS9Gl8.jpg

R230kWe.jpg