AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Hey, hey, not so fast, this build ain't dead yet. After a year of nursing our baby to toddler I finally have found some time for myself again. And as it goes, I see myself checking out LSP on a more regular basis again. At least just in time to see that Henri Deahne has made props for the Ju388. Well, that's just what I needed (besides time) to get back on the bench. Man, these props are a mile ahead of the ones provided in the kit/conversion.

Anyway, I started building where I left off, the cockpit. Had to dive back in the available reference to see what needed to be done. Luckily for me I was almost at the painting stage when I stopped buidling at the end of 2016. So after some more scratchbuilding and dryfitting I could fire up my airbrush again. Just some regular black basis and RLM66 and I just started to pick out the details.I hope I can keep building on a regular, albeit slow, basis from here on. So, please do expect updates again, but I can't promise one every week ;-).

Cheers, Wouter

O, by the way, just some crappy smartphone pics, since I haven't had time to set up a proper photobooth. Gotta sort out my priorities  :innocent:

nRVwCzM.jpg?1

h3cW4uc.jpg?1

ilvGx6N.jpg?1

Very nice rendition of the 388 cockpit... from the time I spent in it photographing it, I think you have done it well. To me it was remarkably clean and well preserved.

Brian Silcox

Thanks gents. 

Brian, your pictures are most helpful in detailing the cockpit. There is just so much going on and you have to keep track of everything. Especially when to add what or what not. John did a very good job for the conversion, but there are still bits and pieces you have to scratchbuild. And some parts need to be corrected. Also figuring out where everything goes etc etc.

And as one finds more and more reference, there's more to be added. I think I have a 97% complete picture of the cockpit now. The other 3% will be an educated guess. That will be the backside of the IP and the mechanism of the beobachter (observer) jump seat.

Maybe it's common knowledge, but I 'discovered' that it folds out sideways. In doing so, the seat will be raised to more or less the same height as the pilot and radio operator. I found a very clear picture of the jump seat, but how the folding mechanism works is still not clear.

If there's interest, I'll make a cockpit walkaround in pictures and words. I know it's all there but the information is spread over the web and in books, so if I can help my fellow modellers...

Another question; I did some work on the landing gear and it appears to me that the Revell representation depicts the oleos in there uncompressed state. Is there anyway who can chip in and can confirm my findings?

Cheers, Wouter

Nice work Wouter, really like the John has approached the 388 cockpit when compared to the 188 conversion. Think you may be right regarding the Revell oleos. I have some Ju-188 U/C info you may be interested in, if so send me a PM and I can email it over to you.

Regards. Andy

Well, today I'm a bit annoyed. I installed the horizontal bar for instrument panel. That's not the hard part, there's just one way to install the bar. Okay, you have some room to play with the height, about 1 mm up or down, but not much. After doing so I thought it was a good moment to dry fit the IP and see if it would fit under the canopy. Eh.... no it doesn't. Major bummer. I have seen the pictures from John where it does fit, but then it's not at the right height. Back to square one and out with the measuring tools. The IP provided is 9mm wide and 22 mm long (without the supports). Translating that back to 1:1 scale it would be 70 cm high and almost 30 cm wide! I think that is a bit of a stretch, no?

0wBGqnw.jpg24rqYaO.jpg?1

So I looked up some original documents on Luftwaffe instruments. After some searching I found out that the four instruments forming a square, each have a 89 mm diameter. With some extra room around the instruments that translates to a 20 cm wide IP (1:1) and 6,3 mm in 1:32 scale. I did this for the other instruments as well to get the height of the IP. It should be between 45 en 50 cm high. That's 15,6 mm in 1:32. Long story short, the IP is about 2,5 mm to wide and 6 mm to long. That's seems to correspond with my fitting issues. So, back to the drawing board for me. I will build a new IP using the excellent PE instruments from Airscale.

The some goes for the Sichtgerät 217 on the right side of the IP. Look at the picture below and you can see that the one provided in the conversion is not nearly deep enough. Besides that is to wide. Real life measurements (1:1) are 119 mm wide, 172 mm high and 300 mm deep. That's 3,7 mm, 5,4 mm and 9,4 mm in 1:32. The PE version from the conversion is 5mm wide, 7 mm high and about 5 mm deep. That won't do. So I will build scratchbuild that part too.

wD6x8bq.jpg

Edited by Wouter