Thanks Paul and Kev! I think I'm getting closer now to the finish line. I was fortunate to get it while it was on sale at Hannants so it was a great price. What do they go for in Australia? HlJ has it in their just announced sale so maybe worth a look?

I masked off the upper sides and sprayed the lower sides tonight.

IMG_20160605_113121.jpg

There was a lot to do thanks to the nacelles so it took longer than I thought it would.

IMG_20160605_235931.jpg

With the paint on...

IMG_20160606_002353.jpg

...and the tape off:

IMG_20160606_002904.jpg

Which meant it was time for the winter overspray. I used a very thinned mix of the underside colour and sprayed thin lines in a squiggle pattern.

IMG_20160606_004804.jpg

IMG_20160606_004749.jpg

IMG_20160606_004756.jpg

IMG_20160606_004845.jpg

Once this dries , I'll do the patches that covered the German markings and then it's roundel time!

Edited by BloorwestSiR

That looks amazing, Carl! Amazing paint job.

What do they go for in Australia?

As far as I can tell, nobody's selling them locally. I did find on on eBay with shipping to Australia from the US, which was $87 plus $25 postage. The sad reality for me is that, even if I could afford it, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify more kits!

Kev

Thanks Kev! It came out better than I'd hoped for. It's thin enough in places that the original camo shows through.

I hear you on the rationalisation bit. I look at my stash, knowing there are kits I'll probably never get to since they're just too daunting and it makes me think twice about how much more I want to add to it. I really need to know that I want it and will build it before I'll grab something these days.

Carl

Very nice work!! I must admit I am a bit surprised to see that you never layed a coat of primer down first and then begin with the lightest colors first (belly)? I found in the past that the primer coat prevents the paint from lifting when using masks. Otherwise a really nice build!

Cheers

Alan

Very nice work!! I must admit I am a bit surprised to see that you never layed a coat of primer down first and then begin with the lightest colors first (belly)? I found in the past that the primer coat prevents the paint from lifting when using masks. Otherwise a really nice build!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan! I never got in the habit of doing a primer coat. The only real time where I had issues with paint lifting was when I was using Model Master acrylics. They were terrible paints in my opinion.

Thinking about it, your probably right in that it would have been easier to paint the underside first but again, I've always just started from the top down.

Carl

Continuing on with the painting tonight, I masked off the front section of the nacelles and painted them red.

IMG_20160606_205439.jpg

I then used RAF dark green to spray some patches on the airframe which covered the original markings.

IMG_20160606_231535.jpg

IMG_20160606_231542.jpg

Which was the end of all the primary painting on the aircraft. Next up are the roundels.

IMG_20160606_231749.jpg