Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Thanks a lot guys!  I like to experiment with things while I build and sometimes things work out and sometimes I crash and burn.  Thankfully with this experiment I'm still flying, because there really is no turning back if you want to keep the interior of the nozzles smooth.

Chuck, have you ever used a Tamiya Weather Master set?  They come in a variety of colors with a little foam sponge and brush, I'm sure you could trim down the size of the sponge to have better control and achieve an even better result.  They're actually quite a lot of fun to do weathering with, and you wash it away if you mess up.

Just a thought, looks nice, good work

Dan

You mean this stuff?  I use it all the time.

TamiyaPastels.jpg

My very favorite one is "Oil Stain", which I use 10X more than the other colors.  Besides adding oily grime to certain areas, it really makes tires look like real rubber.  These tires are made from resin.

SHWheels1-1.jpg

SHWheels3.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

To paraphrase what I often say to highly talented students.

"Hey, Chuck, psss, come over here mate.

Listen mate, there comes a time when you're just showing off." ;)

Always delivered with a smile and a wink.

:)

;)

Keep going Chuck. I'm listening. And when you're good, you're good.

So said Buddy Rich. :D

chuck,

Your ability to solve complicated problems with simple solutions just continues to amaze me. As I've said before, and will most likely continue to say is that is another part of the equation that separates you from the rest of us. The folks at Tamiya should be not only following your build, but taking detailed notes.

The end result is that those exhaust cones not only look great, but are about as close to the real deal as one can expect to get.

I never got around to purchasing those Tamiya pigments, but I've gone a somewhat cheaper route by buying various eye shadow 2 color kits at my local chain drug store that cost a lot less, have a tremendous natural tone color range, and you can get those sponge applicators dirt cheap when you need new ones.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

Bravo! Absolutely incredible work and I thank you for another excellent tutorial were the concept most certainly can be applied to other builds.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks again Gents!

FYI, although I didn't show any of it, I tried a variety of masks using masking tape, liquid masks, Post-It notes, etc.  What I really wanted was that tight serrated edge to some of the black to white staining you see in the pics of the real deal.  Most of my experiments didn't work very well and to get that look would have taken weeks of masking tiny little patterns that at 1/32 scale, you would be unlikely to see anyway, so I went for the "keep it simple stupid" route instead.  Next up will be the application of several shades of Alclad which I love to use, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Those nozzles look ridiculously great! what a whole lot of work, but the result so far is well worth!

SHWheels1-1.jpg

SHWheels3.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Now that you mention tyres, I'd love to hear your oppinion on rubber tyres for models? I mean IMHO they "should" look like real ones cause it's rubber after all, but it doesn't seem to be the case. What's your take on them?

Thank you Gents!

I have two questions for you Chuck,

-1)  How thin, wide, and long are the styrene strips you cut to paint the inside of the nozzles?

- 2) How do you thin and spray the Tamiya Black Laquer?

1)  Fairly thin styrene sheet cut into strips.  0.3mm X 2mm X ~28mm.  Length isn't too important, as long as it's long enough to clear the end of the nozzle.

2)  For the Tamiya Gloss Black Lacquer, I decant about an ounce into a jar, let it degas for at least 2 hours with the lid on very loose, then I add about 1/4 to 1/3 Tamiya lacquer thinner (yellow cap).  Once the paint has degassed, volatiles that would normally keep the paint thin have evaporated, so you need to thin it back again so that it sprays smooth.

Now that you mention tyres, I'd love to hear your oppinion on rubber tyres for models? I mean IMHO they "should" look like real ones cause it's rubber after all, but it doesn't seem to be the case. What's your take on them?

Actually the rubber tires in a model kit are plastic, not rubber.  Some kit tires are actually pretty good and they can be sanded on the tread to make them look fairly real.  Other kit tires may have seam lines that are almost impossible to remove, so it's a model kit to kit thing.  My best looking tires are all resin, like the ones above and these super clean Aires ones I put on my P-38L build....

Final8.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Chuck,

The nozzles look good so far.

It is quite a challenge to get down inside the nozzle with an airbrush and replicate the staining seen on the real birds This is one area where the Flightpath etch has a definite advantage. Sure, it's a chore to assemble but each petal starts out individually. If layed flat on a strip of double sided tape they can be sprayed alongside each other to form the intricate stained patterns.

Maybe on your next one eh? :innocent:

:wicked:

;)

:D

Edit* Hope to catch you before you begin the outer face of the nozzles. If you check out your reference images you may spot that the sawtooth shaped "teeth" of the outer face of each inner petal (phew! what a complicated description) are light in colour. It's a little detail that is generally either missed or skipped over by modellers but it can add alot of visual interest and busy up the area still more. Perhaps it might be possible to drizzle a light wash into those details? HTH

Edited by geedubelyer

Edit* Hope to catch you before you begin the outer face of the nozzles. If you check out your reference images you may spot that the sawtooth shaped "teeth" of the outer face of each inner petal (phew! what a complicated description) are light in colour. It's a little detail that is generally either missed or skipped over by modellers but it can add alot of visual interest and busy up the area still more. Perhaps it might be possible to drizzle a light wash into those details? HTH

Thanks Guy, but I'm already on it!  Those lighter panels are actually a light steel blue as shown below.  Stay tuned!

NozzleDetail1.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3