Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

way beyond my modeling abilities and skills. Of course, that doesn't mean I am not following intently, both learning and enjoying. At the end of the day, compromise is always the best venue as it is nearly impossible to reduce everything down perfectly in scale.

Keep 'em comoing

Peter

Hi chuck,

Those nozzles are looking good I think it's a great way to go with mix and matching the aftermarket parts with the kit parts to get the best result. As mentioned previously Im still wanting to use the Flightpath turkey feathers as the main part of the exhaust and also use as well the kit parts and aftermarket parts.

As I couldn't find any good decent photos on the net of the Flightpath PE Kit I decided to take my own after I bought it, as you can see below and also here's a link to some of the other photos that I've taken. They're not 100% crisp because I didn't use a macro lens… https://imgur.com/a/IFxqi

Question… :please:

I'm no expert on the F-15 (or any other plane for that matter) so I'd like to ask a knowledge question if anyone can please answer. As ghatherly mentioned in his F-15C build, that he had to shorten the Flightpath feathers by 6 mm on each one and here that the kit once are to long. What I'd like to know did Flightpath and Tamiya get it ALL wrong or was there an F-15 with longer burner nozzles at the time this hobby parts were getting made???

Thanks, MarioS

Lu31hka.jpg

Question… :please:

I'm no expert on the F-15 (or any other plane for that matter) so I'd like to ask a knowledge question if anyone can please answer. As ghatherly mentioned in his F-15C build, that he had to shorten the Flightpath feathers by 6 mm on each one and here that the kit once are to long. What I'd like to know did Flightpath and Tamiya get it ALL wrong or was there an F-15 with longer burner nozzles at the time this hobby parts were getting made???

Thanks, MarioS

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the great pics of the Flightpath kit.  While I am not surprised at the number of parts, I am relieved I didn't even try to buy or assemble such a kit.  As of last week, I'm one year into this build already and I bet those nozzles would add another 2-3 months!  As someone mentioned earlier, there is a very high chance of losing some of the parts to add to the challenge, so I wish you the best of luck.  If you have them built before this build thread is finished, please post some pics here because most of the ones I've seen on the 'net are not very clear.

I can't answer your question, but I have a partial guess that I bet is correct.  While I have no idea why Tamiya got the length of the nozzles so wrong, aftermarket suppliers almost always try to replicate the same dimensions of the kit parts they are creating to make sure that everything fits.  The diameter of the nozzles would be a good example of this, while the length is not, so perhaps Flightpath just assumed that Tamiya got everything correct for scale and the error just continues.  I have found this many times with resin parts, like the intake replacements for Tamiya F-4 kits.  Most of them have copied the raised panels on the intake sides, which are much too high for scale.  They are not "Battle Damage Repair' (BDR) panels as many have claimed, but panels that are often removed and have sealant applied when they are re-installed, creating a bit of a higher profile.  Tamiya tried to recreate the raised look, but the profile is about 3 X too high- as are many resin replacements.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

I have been following this build right from the start and I must say that your dedication to accuracy and attention to detail is absolutely stunning! You have done a wonderful job so far and I wish you good luck on the rest of the build! Will follow 

Thanks you sir- and I really love your books!

My progress right now has hit quicksand with a number of domestic duties that need to be cleared away before I can get back at these nozzles.  I can confirm, however, that I have cut off the little "U-shaped" connectors for the turkey feathers as Guy and Gary have suggested, while retaining the central kit attachment for the rod-like actuators.  This is a compromise between retaining a good plastic to plastic join of the rods while adding the "fidelity" (Guy's word, which I love) of the Eduard PE detail.  My goal when I am finished is to have a couple of killer nozzles that make you say "wow" when you see them, so the pressure is on! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chuck

Eagle exhaust nozzles are of the key assets of the model. You need to do a very good work on them! For my F-15C build I have chosen to assemble the Flightpath set however I don't have a clue when I am going to start! 

Thank you for your interest in my books! There is an F-15 books series coming up

Edited by EagleAviation

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

Let 'em roll

Looking forward to your next update on the nozzles

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks you sir- and I really love your books!

My progress right now has hit quicksand with a number of domestic duties that need to be cleared away before I can get back at these nozzles.  I can confirm, however, that I have cut off the little "U-shaped" connectors for the turkey feathers as Guy and Gary have suggested, while retaining the central kit attachment for the rod-like actuators.  This is a compromise between retaining a good plastic to plastic join of the rods while adding the "fidelity" (Guy's word, which I love) of the Eduard PE detail.  My goal when I am finished is to have a couple of killer nozzles that make you say "wow" when you see them, so the pressure is on! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Is it safe to say that your shoulder is getting better since your Honey Doooooo list is in catch-up mode?   If I could add some support for leaving the plastic for the Control rod mounts, these mounts are much beefier/heavy duty than those used to hold the TF's.   Those rods have a tremendous amount of stress on them working against tons of thrust.     Really looking forward to seeing these completed when you get to it.

Gary

Chuck,

Your work on the exhaust nozzles is beyond amazing. As my brother said, we're no where near your level of modeling. But just following along and trying to understand your reasoning and decision making, clearly shows what a master modeler you are. 

Joel