How many is TOO many!?

wunwinglow

Nearly four years ago I moved house, and the removers transported 153 kits to the new house.  Getting them out of the loft and seeing them in daylight caused a bit of a shock: for example had I really amassed 5 F-4s and the same number of F-104s in 1:48?? :help:

So I've been doing what I should have done before the move and started selling on another forum (no LSPs to sell so not here), on eBay and at show.  Trouble is I'm still buying, and the stash is now sitting at about 57, although for the first time in many years that number is less than my age.  There are a few more 1:48 aircraft I could shift and not miss, and my 20 or so 1:32 aircraft are not up for sale.  I find with 1:32 kits, as they're more expensive I think more carefully before I buy, and often don't; whereas in smaller scales, it's a case of "why not?", and if I can't decide between two, buy both wallet permitting.  The only duplicate LSP I have is a Tamiya Spit, and that's not really a duplicate as I have one each of an VIII and a IX.

There are not many I really want to acquire now, the wishlist is less than 20 kits.

I spent a good portion of last year selling off a lot of kits on eBay, at a loss I might add but to be realistic, plastic models, except for a few rare kits, aren't worth anywhere what we paid for them ......

I keep my sales on a spreadsheet which shows, among other things, what I paid for each kit and when: it then does a straight 10% per year depreciation, which makes the numbers look a lot healthier.

Hi Tim,

I like this kind of thread. It makes me realise that I have plenty of catching up to do.

I'm guessing my "stash" is about four 1/32nd scale aircraft, one 1/48th scale aircraft, one 1/72nd scale aircraft and a 1/32nd scale car.

Cost is somewhat of a consideration in keeping the number down since 1/32nd scale is obviously more expensive generally than the smaller scales.

Space is another. Larger models mean more real estate for display. I understand now why so many prefer WWi or WWII fighters as they are smaller and easier to put somewhere.

Peter's point about being a model builder is pertinent. At this stage I still add bits to my models, possibly always will, but the trend is towards less of that. Perhaps modelling in 1/48th scale is a way of having to show less added detail for a passable end result?

For you guys with large stashes, have fun fondling the plastic. That's what this game is all about.

Ah well. It isn't booze, it isn't gambling, it isn't womanising, and it isn't golf!

Tim

So, just the drugs then? :hmmm:

:innocent:

:wicked:

:)

Edited by geedubelyer

My stash is less than 20, following a rationalisation programme to avoid leaving any to the undertaker. I am a very slow builder and not that old, btw.

To satisfy my "urge to buy" I have a bucket list of kits that I am really interested to build. Sadly, I have already bought half of them!!

1) Tamiya Mosquito (bought)

2) HK Mosquito (bought)

3) WNW Sopwith Camel

4) HK Lancaster

All are 1/32 and will take some time and effort to build. My aim is to get stuck in to one kit for an extended enjoyable project (maybe a year) and then move on to the next one.

Plans are made to be ignored...

The answer, I think, is to get a bigger modelling room.

When I used a spare bedroom of around 10ft by 12 ft, the stash looked - and felt - bloody enormous, especially as it shared the workbench as well. More or less took up a whole wall, floor to ceiling.

Moving to the loft room - a big old room the full length & breadth of the house, about 30 ft by 20 ft - the stash suddenly took on a far, far smaller appearance, even though the workbench expanded massively. It even leaves tons of room for additional kits.

20151119_175659_zpsb2nq0xn4.jpg

I've even got rid of most of the junk to the left of the kits, freeing up even more stash space for when my Mossie & MkVIII Spitfire finally arrive in my very, very slow $2 boat from China. Then there is KH's Kingfisher, Fly's Hurricane(s), WNW's Albatros B.II and post-war Bristol & Ninack on the way.

So, you've not got a stash problem, you've simply got a storage problem. Kids leaving home frees up oodles of space!

The answer, I think, is to get a bigger modelling room.

When I used a spare bedroom of around 10ft by 12 ft, the stash looked - and felt - bloody enormous, especially as it shared the workbench as well. More or less took up a whole wall, floor to ceiling.

Moving to the loft room - a big old room the full length & breadth of the house, about 30 ft by 20 ft - the stash suddenly took on a far, far smaller appearance, even though the workbench expanded massively. It even leaves tons of room for additional kits.

20151119_175659_zpsb2nq0xn4.jpg

I've even got rid of most of the junk to the left of the kits, freeing up even more stash space for when my Mossie & MkVIII Spitfire finally arrive in my very, very slow $2 boat from China. Then there is KH's Kingfisher, Fly's Hurricane(s), WNW's Albatros B.II and post-war Bristol & Ninack on the way.

So, you've not got a stash problem, you've simply got a storage problem. Kids leaving home frees up oodles of space!

I almost get an anxiety attack seeing thato_O

I don't believe I've ever counted my stuff, but what I do know is that after selling off an estimated 70%-80% of what I had, I've still got many more than I can possibly ever live long enough to construct. When you throw in aircraft (of all scales), armor, ships, artillery, sci-fi, cars and figures of various sorts, I probably have 2 or 3 hundred kits laying around.

I have around 50 LSPs, 140 aircraft in 1:48 and even more 1:72 aircraft, some tanks and ships to and the burden of trying to build them. I do realize that I will not manage to build them since I'm not likely to live 200 years old. I have decided to cull the smaller scales, time will tell how that goes.

Br, Jani

According to my scalemates stash I'm at 260 kits of various subjects. If you add my gundam kits and a couple of Warhammer thingies it should be about 300, give or take a few... There's just so much nice stuff out there and I like nice stuff, nice stuff is good for me! :wub: