Spirit of St Louis FINISHED!

ericg

Incredible work Eric, and likely the most authentic scale reproduction of the engine turned panels I've yet seen.

Following a link posted on Hyperscale, there's a photo gallery of 33 period photos of Lindbergh's flight tests when collecting his aircraft from Ryan's San Diego factory and a post-transatlantic flight visit..

Not many detail photos of the aircraft, but some, and plenty of period detail.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/local-history/sd-me-lindbergh-photos-20170507-story.html

Edited by Chek

Incredible work Eric, and likely the most authentic scale reproduction of the engine turned panels I've yet seen.

Following a link posted on Hyperscale, there's a photo gallery of 33 period photos of Lindbergh's flight tests when collecting his aircraft from Ryan's San Diego factory and a post-transatlantic flight visit..

Not many detail photos of the aircraft, but some, and plenty of period detail.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/local-history/sd-me-lindbergh-photos-20170507-story.html

Thanks alot for the link. a few that I had not seen yet.

Onto the slightly more difficult front panels. I made up some templates using my mask cutter and then traced the patterns onto the aluminium. I then applied the engine turning technique as per the method described earlier. One the glue was set I was left with this:

IMG_6313_zpsvbup7vzx.jpg

I then applied pressure to the areas where the holes were for the cylinders which allowed me to see where I needed to remove the metal.

IMG_6314_zpso0gi6dhl.jpg\

Using a new blade I carefully cut out most of the hole

IMG_6315_zpshsfvfpph.jpg

And then used a toothpick to burnish the edges smooth as well as make the holes for the intake manifold and the push rods

IMG_6316_zps6pufqdgh.jpg

Perfect! just one more to go.

IMG_6317_zpsf8jnz1kv.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Tremendous work on the cowlings and spinner - absolutely flawless

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I finally finished the metal cowls. To say that I am happy with the finished product is an understatement! What started out as an idea, or more of a challenge to myself is now a reality. I always say to those that visit my workshop that there is no such phrase as `can't be done'.

IMG_6320_zps6qi3gvad.jpg

IMG_6321_zpsl7dgigow.jpg

A few small touch ups were carried out using the same felt tip in the dremel.

IMG_6324_zpsngic2j5k.jpg

Completed, ready for markings.

IMG_6319_zps9mdbhznk.jpg

Now that the hard bits were out of the way it was time to move on with the markings.

The real test of the mask cutter was going to be the Spirit of St Louis text on the cowl. Of course, I had the kit decals to fall back on if the machine couldn't do the work required of it but this project was always about pushing the boundaries. I Using the same process as before, scanning in the kit decals, allowing the software to work out the lines, and then editing the lines to appear as close as possible to the real aircraft. It took multiple attempts to get it right, as the machine sometimes doesn't cut exactly what is on the screen, especially for stuff this small. Some areas of the letters required larger angles of points and slightly different shapes to some of the curves. It was a process of design, cut, place on the model, assess and then redo as required until I got something I was happy with to shoot paint through. As can be seen here, each letter is made up of a series of points which can be clicked on and dragged around and each point has a radius on it which can also be edited as required to change it angle or curve. Another handy feature of it is that once the text was complete, it can be `grouped' and scaled up or down as required. Even the angle of the `Spirit' part of the text was able to be isolated and its angle changed to suit the kit cowl.

Capture%2012_zps8teng8pf.jpg

Whilst I was in the final editing stage of the masks, I made a small allowance to the underside rego, as the left side of the N wraps around the pitot tube.

Capture13_zpsght1hzo4.jpg

The final sheet:

Captureert_zpsaurlp7ff.jpg

Just like a bought one (although this one has been solidly tested on a real model!)

IMG_6331_zpsaap7gftm.jpg

Now the fun part, shooting paint through my home grown masks.

I decided to start on the least visible marking, the underside rego. I used Gunze Tire black thinned with MR Self levelling thinner and sprayed at a low pressure.

IMG_6332_zpsrynzoh4n.jpg

IMG_6333_zps1qsdja1j.jpg

IMG_6335_zpstccjtim5.jpg

Next up was the topside rego, a much larger mask.

IMG_6336_zpsi1kqebnu.jpg

Bloody perfect!

IMG_6337_zpsvcnvxvzw.jpg

The tail markings were next, same process.

IMG_6350_zpstuohkhoy.jpg

Whilst the paint was drying on the main markings, I used some bare metal foil to replicate the oleos. 

The brass oleo was painted with the rest of the model and required finishing to give it a polished metal look.

IMG_6338_zpsrkcf1gol.jpg

I cut up a small piece of bare metal foil (much thinner and fragile stuff than the foil I used on the cowls) 

IMG_6339_zpsqjdwtrvc.jpg

Wrapping it carefully around the oleos.

IMG_6341_zpsnbzpd4pi.jpg

I then burnished it onto the oleo with a cotton bud.

IMG_6342_zpsq5exe1n6.jpg

IMG_6343_zpsr8ny0f5q.jpg

It was then time to spray the Spirit of St Louis titles on the cowl. This was probably the high point of the markings process as it allowed me to preserve the metal finish of the cowl without any carrier film. Masking up the cowls wasnt really a problem as they are quite tough due to the type of metal used.

IMG_6345_zpsqcalopen.jpg

Great success! I was a little dubious as to whether it would work to begin with but now I am hooked!

IMG_6347_zpsaws5ho8f.jpg

IMG_6349_zpswsrdp737.jpg

Not too long before this one will be in my display cabinet or on a show table.

IMG_6354_zps6twzjr5v.jpg

Edited by ericg