Spirit of St Louis FINISHED!

ericg

Hi Rainer,

I am extremely happy with the Proxxon Drill press. It is actually 240 volt. Whilst I was initially surprised by how small it is I couldn't have asked for something better suited to our hobby. At $650 Aussie dollars for the drill press/compound table/vise combination, it wasn't cheap but the high quality feel of each of the components quickly puts it out of the toy league and into the high end precision machine category. I am aiming to get more of their range as they make many small tools that I could use.

http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/lathe_and_milling_systems.php

Eric

Edited by ericg

Hi Eric,

thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware about their 240 volt range of machines (should have known, as they are a german company...). Good to know, that they are high quality tools and not toys! I'll start saving then and try to convince SWMBO that I desperately need to update my machine inventory...

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

FWIW, I recently acquired their (220 V) TBM220 drill-press, and it did pass my test with flying colors, the said test being to drill a hole in plastic card with a 0.2 mm drill bit at the end of a long (> 30 mm) descent. Any false alignment or lack of concentricity would have resulted in a broken bit (0.2 mm hard steel is about as sensitive to lateral loads as crystal) and it did not, repeatedly. :goodjob: Proxxon !

Jhubert

Great work, Eric! :goodjob:

But A STRONG WARNING NOW:

Never, I repeat: NEVER blow away aluminium dust or any other metal dust, particles or other sanding, drilling, lathing residues!

You put your eyes and visus at risk!

While an opthalmologist is able to remove steel/iron particles from your eyeball (they have strong magnetos to do this) there is no way to do so with nonmagnetic metals or other materials. Also not that nice procedure with iron particles.

Just use a brush or small broom to remove particles and dust. They taught me also during metalworking lessons that it is wise to wear protective goggles (and a cap, to keep long hair away from spinning machine parts). Take care of your health!

Regards

- dutik

Whilst my Proxxon (special deal) minidrill is still usable, the electronic speed controller went West after just a couple of months, so I stripped it and wired straight through, which means it's always on flat-out and has survived that for years now, but essentially all these things are just 540 buggy motors.  The bearings and chuck are the main things.  My other Proxxon (I was given) runs slightly eccentrically.

I've always found the Mini/Maxicraft series to be value and good quality. I have the orbital sander, circular saw and sanding disc, none of which cost more than £25 each.  I had a Proxxon drill press, but it stuck and was dubiously vertical. Then I moved house and lost it!  But I have an ancient Triumph fine feed pillar drill which is a joy to use.

Cheers,

Martin

• 11 months later...

Eric, truly a wonderful build! I have always marveled about the Spirit of St. Louis and have seen it many times at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. To think that Lindbergh sat in that cramped cockpit and crossed the Atlantic. You are doing it a mighty justice!

Guest Uncle Fester

Hi Rainer,

I am extremely happy with the Proxxon Drill press. It is actually 240 volt. Whilst I was initially surprised by how small it is I couldn't have asked for something better suited to our hobby. At $650 Aussie dollars for the drill press/compound table/vise combination, it wasn't cheap but the high quality feel of each of the components quickly puts it out of the toy league and into the high end precision machine category. I am aiming to get more of their range as they make many small tools that I could use.

http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/lathe_and_milling_systems.php

Eric

Eric, you are a masterful thinker and doer.   Brilliant reasoning led you to a logical conclusion and, even better, you produced convincing results from your thoughtful process.

For the rest of us with not-so-deep pockets, here in the 'States, I might suggest Harbor Freight.  They have both a small lathe as well as a small milling machine.  They are virtually identical to the Micro-Mark products that are very expensive but made in the same factory in China.  I'm not sure about the Proxxon equipment and although it looks similar, I would hesitate to say they are made in China as well. 

However, more to the point, I have used the lathe to make many things but I have yet to use the milling machine.  eBay provides the answer when you need a graduated turntable and other accessories for either machine.  They, too are made in China but when Micro Mark charges $300 for something, often you can find one on eBay for much, much less.  One of my projects I intended was to make a certain type of wheels out of aluminum rod for a 1/24 scale car.  I later found them in a kit and since haven't had reason to use it.

However, look at Proxxon and its prices...then look at Micro-Mark, then look at Harbor Freight.  Sometimes you can find the Harbor Freight machines on eBay as well...But you can get these machines that seem to work quite well on a budget.  Plus. Harbor Freight has the occasional 25% off coupons.  Currently, the HF small milling machine is US $699.  With the 25% off coupon, it's $524.  The Micro-Mark machine is currently $825 plus $75 shipping.  If there's a HF store nearby, freight can be mitigated. 

And then....there's craigslist.....

Any updates Eric??

OK, I have decided that I will work on my 4 WIP's that are out of their boxes at the same time (being the Mirage, Eurofighter, Winjeel and this thing) I figure that I have finished 8 this year, so completing something soon is no big deal.

One of the reasons this one was set aside for a while was for the simple fact that yet again, I found myself neck deep in heavy modifications that I probably shouldn't have started in the first place. Of course, it is precisely this method that delivered me my Comet, which i consider the jewel of my collection. 

The fuselage sides were very `gaunt' and each stringer lacked definition, almsot like the fabric was loose. To do the aircraft any justice I just had to re-do them. I sanded each side of the fuselage flat (a fairly uncomfortable exercise on a $250 kit!) and started again. Using Tamiya tape, I masked up the 3 stringers.

IMG_4749_zps6a7kw2o2.jpg

I then sprayed a few heavy coats of Mr Surfacer over each one to build up the detail.

IMG_4750_zpsso86fhyq.jpg

Removing the masking reveals some sharply defined lines.

IMG_4752_zpsqff7obed.jpg

I then freehand sprayed thick coats of Mr Surfacer over each one to build up the stringer further and to blend it in.

IMG_4751_zpsoycngkcp.jpg

After this process was completed I gave it all a light overcoat of the Mr Surfacer to check the progress. Pretty good! I will be able to sand in between each one to further refine the shape once it has cured. As can be seen, it already looks like tightly stetchd fabric over thin stringers.

IMG_4755_zpspakam7ae.jpg

IMG_4756_zpsh4g1gsq5.jpg

Way to go Eric !

I agree with you the surface detail of the kit is not great ...

When I opened my box, this was one area of dispointment, to which I should add the single piece wing (heavy on the struts and undercarriage) and the thick fuselage shells (when the original was thin fabric on tube-and-stringers). God knows I wanted a NYP badly, but that prompted me to store the box until further resolve to tackle it came by. Your build may just be the inspiration I needed !

:popcorn:

Hubert