Spirit of St Louis FINISHED!

ericg

Before the project proceeded further I needed to get the metal cowlings sorted out. Whilst I was sort of happy with my previous engine turning technique, I felt that it was very labour intensive and could be done a bit better. Studying various `full size' techniques online, I decided to try and find a new way to accomplish the engine turning on this model. I tried out a few different tools mounted in the drill press but settled on a felt bob that Dremel makes. I also tried out a few different cutting pastes, such as valve grinding paste,Autosol Metal polishing paste and Tamiya polishing compound. All of these were either too harsh or not harsh enough. In the end I used a light coat of polishing compound that is also made by Dremel. I also abandoned using my compound table in conjunction with the drill press as I wanted to try and achieve a more hand applied finish as per the real thing. Instead of winding the compound table 1-2mm per circle and repeating it in the x-y axis, I lined up each circle and each line of circles by eye. 

Firstly. I sent the Mrs on an errand to get me a large tin of Milo. I removed the `membrane' very carefully to allow the maximum amount of useable material.

5E6F30AD-3640-4593-AE04-9A58BFC982CF_zps

8986ED23-7EDB-49B1-8190-EDB0388455A4_zps

I then covered each panel in Tamiya tape before cutting along each panel line with a No.11 blade to make a template.

3050D63F-0812-4314-ABF6-662C0F78058E_zps

E0BD56DF-24D2-4540-B2F3-309C5E76CCBB_zps

I lightly traced the outline of each template onto the metal with a pencil and then cut it out oversize before applying the engine turned finish. Lining each element up by eye as discussed earlier.

A9FB3ACB-3512-4220-91BF-4F75730AACB2_zps

The panel has a very 3D holographic type effect and moves around as you shift it.

B56A414D-8D2B-494A-9141-B283F247E8B5_zps

It was then a simple matter pf re-applying the template and cutting it out. 

A8665DEB-D670-4757-AD7B-A9EB551C5A22_zps

By considering where each panel was going to sit against the model, I was able to cut each one out so that instead of a panel line, I have made each panel overlap as per the real aircraft. I would consider this exercise to be a great success!

9D15E1CB-F382-4C3E-9D2C-3458603084F8_zps

33AABE16-AFD8-4475-8984-6C49B250DCE0_zps

29317466-0189-4F53-8724-E9B696776481_zps

I then faced the challenge of cutting out the grilles and inlets into each panel. I pressed against each hole in the resin with my finger to reveal the location of each one.

You can just see the impression of the hole on the right hand side of the panel.

73D019EB-23F1-4C0E-B910-AFA1E4FC4D3B_zps

I then used a beading tool to break through the panel into each hole. Due to the metal being quite flexible it was a simple matter to bend it into the hole and open it up.

1FC921C4-E8C7-45E1-9342-5339974F5AB7_zps

Still some more panels to do around the nose but I am pretty happy where this project is heading.

A96D7D21-71C3-4BE5-95D0-482B83CFB8C8_zps

I did a quick video of the process for my Facebook page here: (be sure to 'like' it!)

https://www.facebook.com/manscale/

Edited by ericg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much guys.

As this project inches ever closer to the finish line I have started to closely examine as many period photos that I can get my hands on to find the small details that will give this build a more realistic finish.

Due to significantly thinning the wheel spats, I had to replace some of the raised detail on them, added with plastic small disks of plastic card, Also visible in the photo is the aerodynamic fairing in white metal that covered the wheel nut. Whilst building this kit, it has become pretty apparent that the designers of the aircraft tried as hard as they could to make it as slippery as possible.

IMG_5624_zpsmc5uyiju.jpg 

I wanted to capture the look of the mechanical workings of the undercarriage. There was no provision made in the kit for these parts, so it was out with the plastic card to scratchbuild the brackets that the undercarriage strut attached to. I feel that this small detail in particular has made a big difference.

IMG_5625_zpsdnn9dc7j.jpg

Fantastic work, Eric. This is going to be stunning when it's finished.

Kev

I hope so mate! see if it ends up travelling down south soon eh?

Some more detail work. The kit anemometer needed a slight modification. The mast that mounts on the fuselage was also streamlined, so I fabricated one from plastic card and brass rod.

IMG_5639_zpslxq0nxq4.jpg

Small but important detail.

IMG_5640_zps3t7tw3gz.jpg

Whilst dry fitting the kit parts together to asses the sit and look of the model, I was noticing that there was something not quite right with the propeller. It just looked a bit odd and upon further investigation, one of the blades was 1mm shorter than the other. Not a huge amount but it was drawing my attention enough that it needed to be be fixed. I cut the sort blade and shimmed it with 1mm thick plastic card and blended the blade to the correct shape. It should be noted that the blades are far too thick (as with most of the kit) and this part has been thinned quite a bit in this pic. 

IMG_5638_zpsv2icvoh7.jpg

Very very nice on this latest work. I love the resourcefulness.   So glad they did not do this machining on the Hawker Fury. I'd be in over my head! (BTW nice going with the Demon on the cover of the Modelart Australia  magazine). Super details! 

The Milo, tinfoil............................. BRILLIANT ! I never would have thought of that, and now I will save the tin foil covers of the stuff we get.... ..................silly question time............. what is 'Milo'?  Like Nestle's Quick? .............................................................................. maybe I need to get out more??