New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

If so (and filtered properly by an informed panel), it may be both extremely helpful to the manufacturer and the beginning of a new era in miniatures design.

Hmmm - have you seen some of the 'discussion' on modelling forums around CAD drawings? :hmmm: :frantic:

And, yes, measurements of *real* aeroplanes have been taken...  ;)

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Its looking great from the mock-up FG.1 box art above, a fabulous photo of the aircraft for sure - very evocative for sure :)

Is it proposed to make both versions available from the same boxing, or will they be marketed as separate boxings - FG.1 and FGR.2? 

• 2 weeks later...

Will the kit be designed and boxed with Speys, or room left for after market one's to be fitted.

A Greek guy on Facebook has produced superb 1/48 resin Speys that he is selling.

What about the after market people, will the kit details be made available to them so they can get products designed and made, or even work hand-in-hand with them?

Edited by warriormcv

It's still too early to say exactly what parts will or won't be in the box. Unfortunately the designer is not able to devote his full time attention to this project.

I think it's safe to say that Neil is happy to work with the cottage industry, but again, it's far, far too early in the process to say anything with certainty at this point.

Jennings, feel free to pass along my interest working with HK on any aftermarket opportunities with this or other projects. They can contact me at: garyhatherly@gmail.com or. 803-372-9631. I am in the eastern US time zone. We did substantial work on intakes, exhausts, cockpits for the UK birds before abandoning our project which can easily be fitted to the new kit.

Edited by ghatherly

Before resin guys from Germany etc climb onboard may we please have a fully intact and detailed kit. I'm guessing £190.

The reviewing remarks about the Meteor "providing the basics to which modellers may add detail" has worn a bit thin on me. Yes, mine are incorporating Fisher conversion sets, Profimodeller tubing and G-Factor cantilever undercart but, frankly, a lot of that stuff is necessary for what isn't a cheap model to begin with.

Please give us an OOB experience with the Phantoms. Prepainted IP etch and fabric seat belts (why, oh why hasn't that happened yet for bang seats?) is fair game for extras, but no cosy deals which allows short cuts on the plastic please.

Tony

Jennings I for one won't be pissed off with a HKM british F4 phantom no matter what they put in the box. After all I love the trumpeter lightning kit as it's the only game in town. I for one is looking forward to it.

Think they could be talked in to doing a decent BAC lightning kit? Lol.

Edited by daveoh

I hope HK goes with a more simple approach.........Like a Tamiya F-15

Not over parted (why make a part 17 pieces when it could have been molded as one solid piece)

Solid cockpit and seats

dropped flaps

Slide molded intakes and exhaust

Please no full engines..........no open avionics/ hydraulic panels

O and of course price point (this could be the difference between 1 kit or the purchase of 3 kits)

While i will get a RN/RAF bird(s).......I am waiting for the F-4b

So you'd rather have HK put $450 worth of stuff in the box, and potentially cut their sales (and thus their ability to do future projects) by half, not support the cottage industry, and provide something that a lot of people don't want and can't afford?

It's not what I said Jennings. I don't want open panels and full engines, just a sound airframe.

But I don't want to feel obligated to buy inlets and nozzles because of bad kit parts (as in the Tamiya)

The Tamiyas can be bought for £70 these days. As the HKM is not going to offer much change out of £200 yes, I expect a complete product.

The AM people can still go nuts with details like BLC flaps, open panels, seats etc but we're talking about a much higher starting price which gives less scope for manoeuvre. Simples.

I'm going to buy it regardless, and probably two, as if I only ever had one kit it would be an F-4K/FG.1.

Tony

Yep a good basic accurate kit is all that's required, can't see it costing more than the Do 335, which has all those needless interior bits and bobs... 

FGR.21_zpsnnpkreaq.jpg

I've seen a lot of FGR2s in my time. Indeed apart from maybe a couple of early career crash victims, I've got pictures of all of them collected over the years from the interwebs. But I've never seen one looking as dark as XV419 in that photo. Apart from the rudder, the poor airframe doesn't look so much dirt stained as smoke stained, like a neighbour on the flightline had a fire, or somesuch. The dark areas don't even appear to match a possible underlying DG/DSG pattern either. As does its neighbour and both made the scruffier looking by the pristine 57 FIS F-4E behind them.

Edited by Chek