1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

I've followed your work up to now in silence because I have to say that I find lightning really ugly as an airplane (it's obviously my personal taste) and therefore I don't know it well.
But the work you've done up to now and the attention to detail almost made me want to make one...
This means being a good model maker, making you want to build a model that you would never have taken into consideration (I'll see what the 1/48 scale offers since it's the scale I work with).

2 hours ago, spartacus2000 said:

I've followed your work up to now in silence because I have to say that I find lightning really ugly as an airplane (it's obviously my personal taste) and therefore I don't know it well.
But the work you've done up to now and the attention to detail almost made me want to make one...
This means being a good model maker, making you want to build a model that you would never have taken into consideration (I'll see what the 1/48 scale offers since it's the scale I work with).

Thank you Marco, very kind of you. The EE Lightning is very brutish and purposeful, so it does have a beauty all of its own. If I have inspired just one person to have a go at making one (irrespective of the scale), then my work is mainly done! (the Airfix 1/48 scale Lightnings make up into accurate model straight OOB). Good luck.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Also been following in the shadows and Blue Stuff could be of interest to this, sometimes heavy handed, modeller!

Is there a limit to the number of times you can use Blue Stuff, can it be used multiple times or is it a one time use?

6 hours ago, Tony C said:

Also been following in the shadows and Blue Stuff could be of interest to this, sometimes heavy handed, modeller!

Is there a limit to the number of times you can use Blue Stuff, can it be used multiple times or is it a one time use?

Hi Tony,

As Mike has already stated, yes, it is reusable (I will retain the two moulds I have made as I will need them for my own Trumpeter Lightning build eventually).

Chers

Derek

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

Top notch work as always sir, and I’m loving those behind the scenes photo’s from Bruntingthorpe. I’ve many happy memories from the various taxiing day events. 

Thanks Pete! :D

Derek

6 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks, Derek - I just ordered some Blue Stuff!

Kev

Good stuff Kevin!

I have never used this product before, but it does exactly what it says on the tin and works well. The only couple of tips I would proffer (based on my above efforts) is to ensure that you use a good amount of pressure when applying the softened material in order to avoid 'soft details', and ensure that there is no air trapped when doing so - hopefully, this will provide a clean mould (the acid test for me is when I attempt to mould some wheels for a different kit!).

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

More detail work. The refuel panel lights have been added.

3gpw6mv.jpg

Moving forward, detail work on the fuselage spine has commenced. The triangular shaped RF Homing panel (supplied as a separate piece in the kit for unknown reasons) is incorrect in size, shape and position as supplied, and that is without the fuselage extension!

I added the kit part and filled it it in. I then made a scribing template after determining the correct shape, size and positioning of the panel.

cuYgTMI.jpg

VcGLfoU.jpg

The panel after scribing. As can be seen, it is quite a bit further forward than the kit panel.

jdHkEB4.jpg

The fin is also on.

MUszvOB.jpg

Derek