1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

16 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

I might be missing something but isn't Master covering this as well?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MR32-057?result-token=vwEMg

Good spot Colin! As I am making this build (almost) entirely without the aid of any AM parts, I have not been searching the internet for such parts (so thank you Colin - and Karl - for pointing out such items). However, now That Trumpeter has re-released this kit, I can imagine that there are currently many AM accessories available which will correct or improve the appearance of this model.

Cheers

Derek 

• 5 weeks later...

More detail painting. The intake nose ring is now shiny inside and out. Lots of undercarriage painting going on - the undercarriage bays look very brown and un-Lightning like at the moment. This is because this aircraft (XS904, as well as XR728) have their undercarriage bays coated in a heavy layer of waxoyl (PX-32).

vV2suoz.jpeg

al38uUT.jpeg

lVk0MEy.jpeg

Kn34dXG.jpeg

zgr0Mxh.jpeg

3O65Pi2.jpeg

liIhbkR.jpeg

o0PPCif.jpeg

zYrQRQc.jpeg

PBswtLE.jpeg

8S65cYx.jpeg

FVk4Xxw.jpeg

0dgpuxG.jpeg

dM6SR4t.jpeg

mPivIDi.jpeg

S3ZSfla.jpeg

GaXAVkX.jpeg

Derek

33 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Looks great!  What did you use for the intake ring to make it so shiny?

Matt 

Hi Matt,

Thank you. I simply could not find any paint shiny or preventative for the highly polished stainless steel intake ring, so in the end I settled on using thin self adhesive air conditioning plumbers aluminium duct sealing tape as a last resort! (far from perfect, but it did achieve the correct degree of reflectivity).

Derek

10 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Matt,

Thank you. I simply could not find any paint shiny or preventative for the highly polished stainless steel intake ring, so in the end I settled on using thin self adhesive air conditioning plumbers aluminium duct sealing tape as a last resort! (far from perfect, but it did achieve the correct degree of reflectivity).

Derek

Genius!

Kind regards,

Paul

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Completely stunning and gorgeous!

I love your attention to the details that only an engineer would know, spot and look out for.  Fascinating.

I think this will be the definitive Lightning build when done, just superb to follow

Cheers Anthony 

Thanks Anthony (and everyone else) - words very much appreciated considering the Mammoth FG.1 Phantom model you are building at the moment. This is the first 1/32 scale model I have ever made (as my own model, even if it is for someone else, and not an 'official' display build), and the first kit I have completed in 20 years, it is certainly throwing lots of finishing challenges at me? (there are so many corrections that you will not see!).

Hopefully, on my next update, there shall be something worthwhile to show you all.

Derek

Edited by Derek B