1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

If you do decide to use kitchen foil, I would highly recommend diluting some MS foil glue with a bit of water and spray it on with an airbrush, onto cleaned and grained (with some high grit sand paper) heavy duty kitchen foil.

It sounds bass-akwards, but the Renalds Wrap heavy duty, and WR extra strength are both great candidates for foiling.

The thicker and stronger the foil, the easier you can burnish it around complex/compound curves. It also sands really well to take some of the odd larger wrinkles out. 

There are a lot of amazing models out there made with BMF, but I have yet to ever make it ever work on most any level. I personally find the adhesive very lack-luster, especially the smaller the bit of foil, the less the adhesive works, for me at least.

I also find the thicker foil much easier to work around things around wing roots and cowls.

YMMV

Sage advice indeed Brian, thank you. Back in 2004, I experimented applying kitchen foil on a couple of 1/72 models, just to see how difficult it was. My first attempt was on a totally scrapped Matchbox P-51D, followed by a Revell P-47D built straight OOB. My reasoning was that if I could successfully foil a P-47 Thunderbolt, then I could probably foil anything!

vRZ9gWZ.jpg

sbw8vwm.jpg

OF7dzwh.jpg

Derek

Hi Derek, I have used greenstuffworld chrome metal to good results (pitot probes and oleos etc). Product number 2545. cost around £4 to £5 ish. Can be applied with brush or airbrush.

HTH.

Bob

P.S. close to retirement myself, April next year,not sure I can afford to on a Babcock pension, approx £60 a month after 21 years service. Plus my R.A.F. pension only covers 9 years service. Oh well, just have to carry on working:wacko:. Great work on the Frightning so far:bow:

P.P.S. Hawk is 50 next year

28 minutes ago, Victor K2 said:

Hi Derek, I have used greenstuffworld chrome metal to good results (pitot probes and oleos etc). Product number 2545. cost around £4 to £5 ish. Can be applied with brush or airbrush.

HTH.

Bob

P.S. close to retirement myself, April next year,not sure I can afford to on a Babcock pension, approx £60 a month after 21 years service. Plus my R.A.F. pension only covers 9 years service. Oh well, just have to carry on working:wacko:. Great work on the Frightning so far:bow:

P.P.S. Hawk is 50 next year

Thanks  for the tip Bob - good luck with your impending retirement! Yes, big anniversary for the Hawk next year; it is a little scary to think that I have been personally involved with that aircraft for 41 of those 50 years, and will be again soon! ;)

Derek

• 1 month later...

After waiting over a month for good weather to spray, and much touching up of the paintwork, the gloss varnish is now on. Also, the gloss black base for the intake ring and hot enf airframe structure silver areas is down, along with the fibre glass brown areas on the spine and ventral fins.

57trpy6.jpg

AFP0IZY.jpg

vEnapAV.jpg

vibpgPd.jpg

2ILTsn2.jpg

Derek

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mr.T said:

Great work! Any updates? And news on the conversion sets?

Hi Mr.T,

Thanks for asking. I am not yet ready to post any updates until I have something more substantial to show as progress. The main issues for me have been terrible weather for the past few month preventing me from carrying out any meaningful spraying and on-going attempts to get a good nose ring silver. I have also had to fix and re-spray wing leading edge seam splits after repair and am trying to clean up the paint work after painting airframe detail parts.

So, things are progressing slowly and I hope to show some more progress pictures soon.

Cheers

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

After a winter of bad weather, work has started again on the Lightning. Multiple paint corrections are in the process of being carried out.

Y58VnJi.jpg

FNRKDM3.jpg

One problem that occurred after stripping the pitot probe of paint was that it broke in half through fatigue cracking - Trumpeter plastic seems to react in strange ways to glued and thinners. The upshot was that it was unrepairable due to its thin cross-section (I tried, and it failed again). I had no option but to make a new one. This I did by cutting a length of 1.6 mm diameter aluminum rod and filing and sanding it to shape (The length of the pilot probe in 1/32 scale is 70.3 mm).

tT2SgUM.jpg

I9HO7xW.jpg

RYtC9n9.jpg

Derek

31 minutes ago, blackbetty said:

there is an aftermarket pitot, you know that?

No, I didn't know that Karl, but I wonder what it is out of curiosity? (If it is brass, it would still need painting!). I suppose that there are two reasons to making my own. The first is that one of the aims of this build is not to use - where possible - AM parts. The second is that it only took a couple of evenings to make the new probe and being aluminium, it can easily be polished to look like chrome silver.

Cheers

Derek