My new project - 1/32 Mirage F1

Loic

Thanks for the kind words guys ;)

@Dan,

I am not sure I understand the question but I'll try to answer anyway: in order to keep things aligned (no twist or such), the most important thing is the skeleton/frame : it has to be robust.

Then, an other key point is to alway cut parts bigger than required so you have excess of material and no need to focus on too many things while glueing.

You already need to think about:

- starting in the right location

- make sure there is glue everywhere....

- ... but not to glue your fingers

- get the planking/shape right

- etc...

you don't want to have to check if the end point is 0.1mm off on top of this. The idea is to focus an a few things at the same time... and then, trim the parts.

I have several ideas to join the different parts but I'll try to use some sort of locator pins (or similar)... in the end, it dépends on what you want to do with your parts... :innocent:

I started to work on the air intake cones... and they are fighting me big time... just getting the actual dimension sand shape has been challenging but I belive I finally understand those parts, ... just need to SB them    ;)

Edited by Loic

Well, time for an update  ;)

I have been struggling with the air intake cones for a few days... but finaly ma naged to find a solution I guess.

First step, intake structure:

DSC04123_zpsukburpql.jpg

DSC04124_zps2xrpzupj.jpg

Then the cone... and that was the hard piece.

I tryed to form my own: no success

I tryed to build some from a 1/32 bomb/fuel tank: no success

I finally tryed to update my Hasegawa F-104 cones and that is the best results so far... so I guess I will go that way.

DSC04125_zps2jd6ql7y.jpg

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks for followoing ;)

Many thanks to all  :)  but above anything else, this is the result of 5+ failed atempts to SB these cones with various technics   <_<

It's been quite a challenge and I can already foresee that the rest of the fuselage is going to be though !

Anyway, one step after the other we will reach target... hopefully  ;)

Hi Loic,

When I see guys like you scratch-building entire airframes I am filled with admiration.

Great work and very inspirational.

When it comes to thinking about how much is still left to do remember the old adage: "You only eat an elephant on bite at a time".

Just continue to do the next task on the list without too much thought to the magnitude of the whole project and before you know it you will have made a completely unique model.

Keep it up.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot guys  ;)

I am working on the intake right now so all I can tell is that I plan to work from the Inside to the outside so to speek.

Starting with the seamless air duct and working my way outward.

You are right, this is one complicated area on the airframe... but nothing that sand paper can not beat I guess.

Thanks for the kind words and for following my friends  ;)

Hi !

a quick update as I have been working on the air intake assmebly those days.

Ducting first. The real thing has some sort of "Y" shape mating in the jet engine.

Once the cones are in place, you can virtually see noting inside the ducting so I concentrate on the outside of the duct giving it a nice shape and then, let the inner side as it is as you can not see it once assembled:

DSC04126_zpsn3ofwbit.jpg

DSC04129_zps5y9zz6v9.jpg

Then, the ribbing of the structure can start, step by step:

mickey mouse style rib  :)

DSC04127_zps33ykhwy8.jpg

then with the duct:

DSC04128_zpsrqjudmck.jpg

DSC04130_zpscdbhlasy.jpg

DSC04131_zps16he6vso.jpg

DSC04132_zpsyumcb9qq.jpg

I need to repeet process for the horizontal ribs now...

Thanks for following !!