My new project - 1/32 Mirage F1

Loic

Loic...it looks fantastic....geez...wanna try some day to scratch a aircraft....geez i wish i could do that....i would be happy if a could scratch a Lego Brick....

Yep...i think so too, a brand new cutting mat... ;) but i think it will be worn soon in time, many models will pass that mat before discard....

/Mal

absolutely brilliant..

.. that is a really effective way of getting an assembly together - very inspirational indeed

can't wait to see what else you do Loic and what more can be learnt about plucking a dream airframe from thin air..

Peter

Thanks a lot for all the kind words my friends !

The mat is about 6 months old... but I only use it for "fine work" (small parts, detailling, etc...).

For the rest of the work, I did cover my desk with a 1mm thick aluminium sheet.

;)

Guest Peterpools

Loic

Terrific progress on the Mirage's nose section. I'm taking notes and learning as you progress, so go slow and lots of tutorial photos.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Many thanks for the kind words and interest my fiends :)

Dan,

you have the eagle eye mate... I'll try to answer your questions:

Frame work is mainly done with 0.5mm sheet and various rods to get stronger structure.

Lamination is done with either 0.5, 0.4 or 0.25mm sheets depending on the shape. So far, only 0.4 were used. If/when I need very flexible sheet for complexe area, I'll use 3 or 4 layer of 0.25mm. You need to update the thickness to the curves.

I only use CA glue but mainly for rapid curing time and also because it is easy to clean ... lamination process needs excess of glue so it spreads everywhere and you need to clean a lot.

There is no  nose wheel weel so far... what you see is an emplty shell really. Then, sometime, I will cut this in two separate sides (like any "regular" AC model) and will work the internal (ww, pit, etc...). The Wheel well area is undersized and only has 2 layers applied and the darker color is primer. It will be cut out later. So far, it gives me some "good" reference points/edges for the rest of the work.

First layer is one single piece of styren applied in one go. This first layer is important, the better it is, the less shaping work after.

Layer two stripes are slightly curved first (like any other piece in fact, even the biggest ones) and the glued in two stages like you said, one end first, then the end and finally trimed. 

Finally, yes, these are indeed Locator pins on the spine Mr eagle eye ;)

Hope this helps and thanks for following !!

Edited by Loic

You are most welcome mate ;)

I'll use a regular rasor saw to cut out the skin:

- about 0.5 cm cut on top

- 2 x 4.5cm at the bottom

- the Wheel well area and the internal struture can be smashed (dremell)

Then a bit of cleaning/sanding on the interior surface and voilà