RAAF Super Hornet. Finished.

ericg

Thanks guys.

A small set back.......

I discovered a crack in the canopy! Now, I will usually get in and fix these things up but this one has me beat. It has happened sometime after I almost finished it, possibly a stress fracture of some sort. I will be writing this one off and trying to source a new canopy. A good mate of mine has already agreed to letting me borrow his one so that I can get this model finished whilst I find a new one. I have had contact with Luckymodel who are assisting at this stage. Even if I have to buy a new Hornet and throw the rest in the bin to get a new canopy, then so be it.

IMG_2155_zpsk9kjpa9i.jpg

IMG_2156_zps3bybugqe.jpg

I received the new Eduard Brassin GBU-12's today (don't you just love it when Hannants knocks on the door?) and immediately slipped into getting them together. They are VERY nice.

IMG_2166_zpsvvfjjb1e.jpg

The weapons starting to take shape.

IMG_2177_zpsx4ewv7m9.jpg

IMG_2171_zpsdyzaj4et.jpg

An aspect of the build that I wasn't happy with was the black non slip surface beneath the cockpit. The Southern Sky decals just didn't look right. The ladder stenciling was too light, and the general shape of the decal was way off my reference pics. I got out the packing tape and ripped the decal from the model. I tried the Trumpeter decal, but it was a weird shade of grey so that came off as well. I then masked the black area and sprayed it (like I should have done in the first place!)

Before:

IMG_2088_zpsc17e3owi.jpg

After: I cut up some lengths of grey decal and made the cross hatch symbol and arrow from scratch. From the same decal sheet I made the `ladder' lettering (from some `danger propeller' stencils')

IMG_2111_zps4xe4o1e6.jpg

Some weathering applied to blend everything in a bit.

IMG_2179_zpsjp1y6ihx.jpg

• 2 months later...

Even though I have been a little quite with posting stuff on the net lately, doesn't mean I haven't been busy. I have put the Italeri Mirage away for a small break whilst I let some filler cure on it. During the time away from the Mirage, I have been tinkering with various stuff and actually finished the Williams Bro's Sparrowhawk... lovely kit!

C7E4E680-EF5A-470A-BF10-9994B6E21CBE_zps

Once the Sparrowhawk was in the showcase it was time to work out what was next.... keep on going with the Mirage or power on through getting the Super Hornet finished. I have been shifting this thing around for a few months now in its 90% completed state, and it was getting to the stage where it was going to get damaged if I didn't sort it out. Of course, I have headed straight back into the problems that caused me to shelve it in the first place but now it is with the advantage of a fresh set of eyes. So here it is, ready to get back into it and finish it.... no excuses!

IMG_4159_zpsxpsyfsdo.jpg

Even though I have been a little quite with posting stuff on the net lately, doesn't mean I haven't been busy. I have put the Italeri Mirage away for a small break whilst I let some filler cure on it. During the time away from the Mirage, I have been tinkering with various stuff and actually finished the Williams Bro's Sparrowhawk... lovely kit!

C7E4E680-EF5A-470A-BF10-9994B6E21CBE_zps

Once the Sparrowhawk was in the showcase it was time to work out what was next.... keep on going with the Mirage or power on through getting the Super Hornet finished. I have been shifting this thing around for a few months now in its 90% completed state, and it was getting to the stage where it was going to get damaged if I didn't sort it out. Of course, I have headed straight back into the problems that caused me to shelve it in the first place but now it is with the advantage of a fresh set of eyes. So here it is, ready to get back into it and finish it.... no excuses!

IMG_4159_zpsxpsyfsdo.jpg

What sort of reference is that, the Reid Air book?

What sort of reference is that, the Reid Air book?

It is indeed that book. A most excellent reference for the build.

So, whilst going over the model with a fine tooth comb looking for flaws and areas needing touch ups I decided to take the masking off the front windscreen to check for dust build up behind it. After all, the reason why this is now back on the bench is due to the fact that it was getting damaged on my shelf of doom, as well as dusty. Lucky I did, as I was confronted by the most displeasing sight of the clear part with a big crack in it.

8B89A4BA-25BA-455F-A8CE-40C5767BF269_zps

I have had no luck trying to source new clear parts from Trumpeter and realise that I may never succeed in that area. Lucky for me, my good mate was able to lend me his kit, not only to replace the cracked canopy, but now it has also donated its front windscreen. Of course the deal is that I will supply him with another set of clear parts, when I find them. If that doesn't happen then I will have to buy another kit. Anyway, I have fixed the problem now and have moved on.

2 steps forward and one back, but it's getting close.

36BB3CB4-0959-40FD-A96A-5405449DA0D9_zps

Guest Peterpools

Remarkable work: both on the Hornet and Sparrowhawk.

Any ideas or thoughts as to why both the canopy and front windscreen cracked? I know we can rule out miss- handling.

Looking good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I was never happy with the small vent on the left LEX. Trumpeter would have you leave it as a gaping hole. It just had to be fixed

IMG_4312_zpszschiy5y.jpg

I found some photo etch mesh, could have been finer, but a 100% improvement on what it looked like before.

IMG_4325_zpsqsob1dzz.jpg

I then gave the model a coat of flat clear. I custom mixed it using Tamiya Clear, with enough Gunze flat base added such that the model wasn't too flat and at least some light reflected off the curves of the model.

I then got stuck into the weathering. I am a `weather according to photos' modeler and will generally only add what is present on the real thing. I set up a small stand so that it made it easier to apply the oil streaking under the rear of the fuselage. Notice the reflection of my ever enthusiastic observer in the computer screen, and my potential next project propping the Super up.

IMG_4314_zpsbqgnu6ko.jpg

Some artist's oil was dabbed in spots and then streaked back along the fuselage firstly with a flat brush loaded with White spirits, followed by shaping the staining with cotton buds, and fingers. I wanted the oil to stain the paintwork, hence the reason why I have applied it over the flat coat rather than the gloss coat.

IMG_4315_zps3g89wkkv.jpg

The great thing about the oils is that they can be worked for hours/days after first application meaning that you can tone them down or add to them as you see fit.

IMG_4316_zpsfv7z1hrp.jpg

Some gunsmoke staining around the muzzle, added with thinned Tamiya smoke. also notice that I have applied some shading to the tip of the nose.

IMG_4332_zps0njlv0jw.jpg

I have started adding some of the many extra parts to the kit, including the safety switches that I scratchbuilt.

IMG_4326_zpslgnbvn84.jpg