RAAF Super Hornet. Finished.

ericg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Onto the the final stages of this kit. Usually when a kit sits on my shelf of doom for a while it is simply because I need a break from it. Anyone who builds large scale jets will tell you that they are big, complex and time consuming projects that require lots of attention, usually during the final stages of construction. This one is probably my most complex model to date, as there is so much hanging off it. Each and every part demands close attention to detail, as there are so many surface to align, glue, weather, etc. I have seen alot of jets on display where the weapons, pylon and gear doors seem to have been just an afterthought as if the builder has left these parts until the end and rushed through them to get the model finished. 

I sat the model on a clean flat surface and have started to attach the drop tanks and bombs. It is important to get down low to the model and look at it as if from the pilot and ground crews eyes to ensure that it matches photos and has the correct `sit'.

1882BF4E-49AC-46E3-BC04-4B1903FA1E2E_zps

During the fitment of the smaller GBU's, I noticed a very small detail in my reference photos which was some bomb graffiti. I was surprised that I hadn't noticed it before but this is the benefit of coming back to a model with a fresh set of eyes. The spelling of `MOM' leads me to believe that this was written by someone from the USA, as we spell it MUM over here, but I could be wrong. The RAAF was using USA supplied bombs which had been sitting around for a long time.

45938C34-F5CB-40B8-A806-2C16710DB541_zps

Just visible, but it is there for those that care to get in closer!

AF1A8629-0124-4650-A4EC-853F086B7BCA_zps

I propped the model up against the wall to assist me with finishing the underside. For a part of the model that will hardly be seen, it has sure soaked up a massive amount of time.

F386AD9D-7A4C-4F37-8DB2-8B2667E81683_zps

The canopy also came under some scrutiny. I used the Eduard photo etch mirrors and burnished some bare metal foil into each one to provide for the reflective surfaces, before dipping each mirror into future.

74DE9018-27A8-4813-AE2A-8725EFFD0499_zps

The seal under the canopy frame was a detail that I just had to incorporate. I made it from some lead wire, which was sanded flat once attached to the part and then painted grey.

9CEE96E3-FD34-450B-9898-6EF2F54B6F83_zps

2E3E8F7B-FCDB-4E8F-8982-F19E67421068_zps

Hi. I would like to build a RAAF F/A-18F. Do i have to do a lot of changes on the Trumpeter F/A-18F kit to make a RAAF F/A-18F (Not a EA-18G)?? Is`nt the RAAF F/A-18F just a US Navy F/A-18F?

Edited by RNoAF

Another small detail.

The most annoying thing about the photo below is not the fact that the bloke in the back has let his Mrs sit in the front, but the small detail that sits on the side of the top screen in the rear cockpit. It has been bugging me for a while, and it is noticeable in alot of the photos of RAAF Supers. Although I have done alot of searching, close up pics of the item are scarce. I managed to scratchbuild it, which I reckon is close enough.

c0d72a41-a7c8-4d5b-99d2-4d5c3da54a51_zps

IMG_4581_zpszjwsk7v3.jpg

Isn't that the Aussie esspresso machine for the backseater?? Great work Eric - I am completely in awe of your work - the crosshatching of the spun composites on the two external tanks is a great touch! I hope this build brings in a few homeruns for you! Are you planning to show her at some shows??