RAAF Super Hornet. Finished.

ericg

So, after the Mirage IIICZ was finished and in the display cabinet I gave the workbench a quick clean and got back into the Super Hornet. As much as I would love to push through and finish the CAC Sabre to have something to jam between my Meteor and Mirage IIIE, I really wanted something else that would compliment my collection. I don't have any modern, current jets that are in active service so this one fit the bill well. With the quickly approaching due date of my second 1:1 scale model human, I thought that it would be crazy to start something new when I have done the bulk of the hard work on either the Sabre or the Super Hornet.

IMG_0238_zpsybbel33d.jpg

Straight down to business with the big Hornet.

Trumpeter would have you putting an extra light on the left hand tail.

IMG_0239_zpsfg9vyyig.jpg

In reality, it should be another ECM Antenna. Easy enough to fix with some shaped plastic rod.

IMG_0252_zpshkpqud7z.jpg

I have attached the rudders in a pose that I have noticed seems pretty common with at rest Hornets.

IMG_0253_zpsny1nrkhw.jpg

Due to the very thin nature of the Eduard photo etch grilles, the ones that I had glued into place the first time had slightly caved in through handling of the model. Part of the issue was me sanding them so they were flatter to the fuselage and the other part was that I just shouldn't have bothered with them in the first place. Tricky to glue down, holes that block up easily and of course the issue of damage. I purchased a new set and tore off all of the old grilles including the nose section and started again. I have used Mr Surfacer to level them out alot further from their edges this time so I can keep them as think as possible.

IMG_0254_zpsvmh57hnf.jpg

The nose grilles, re-done. Also visible is some of the extensive wiring that I have fitted to the nose gear bay. Solder, copper wire and brass.

IMG_0256_zpsamdjhflm.jpg

The main gear bays of the kit are pretty bare, and there is no after market available for it either so I have started scratch building some more detail to tart them up a bit. I look for the large details that are missing and work on those first.

Here is a small duct that is quite prominent in the detail pics. I was having alot of trouble bending brass tube to make the part and tried a few times with no luck. I ended up making the part from some right angled sprue, cut and filed to shape with a hole drilled into it.

IMG_0242_zpsuoxwm2o7.jpg

In its place. Also visible are the wires and pipes that I have started to add to the bays.

IMG_0255_zpsn2dpnf0w.jpg

IMG_0257_zpsxe6iobpj.jpg

Trumpeter missed some small bumps either side of the canopy. Plastic card and rod fixed this.

IMG_0251_zpsvin1bhwh.jpg

IMG_0248_zpsm7unfvzn.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Hi Eric

Nice to see the Hornet back on the bench and the additional details look perfect.

Looking forward to seeing the Hornet in the paint shop.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

So after the success of using the black base method on my Mirage, I thought it would be a good way to do the Super Hornet. I cleaned the surface of the model and then applied 2 coats of Mr finishing surfacer with my airbrush.

IMG_0268_zpsaq5bhjva.jpg

IMG_0270_zps2gywlq1h.jpg

As per the Mirage, I am quite surprised at how well this stuff brings out any flaws as I was expecting it to hide most of it in the blackness. Due to a few modifications and chgning around some panel lines, a little bit of work will need to go into the model now before the paint is applied.....

IMG_0269_zpspty8cf04.jpg

Edited by ericg

Time for another update.

I painted the control surfaces using the mottling technique. The great thing about painting this way is that you can gradually build up the layers until you are satisfied with the result. Here are the parts with the application of layers.

IMG_0277_zpsnifmjekb.jpg

IMG_0278_zpsmy8pjblx.jpg

IMG_0279_zpssyax4o3o.jpg

IMG_0280_zpsyowzktkt.jpg

Onto the aircraft. I have carried through the technique to the rest of the model. 

IMG_0292_zpsq9pj5jqy.jpg

By misting on light coats of thin paint the mottling starts to blend in, repeating it until the desired coverage is obtained.

IMG_0294_zpsgofn8and.jpg

Here is the final finish. 

IMG_0311_zpsgdqgpyza.jpg

I also painted the exhaust, with a wash and some further detailing yet to come.

IMG_0313_zpsreykkg8r.jpg

Some more detail painting.

IMG_0316_zpsdxowrhel.jpg