Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys. The kit is indeed coming together and is on the home stretch now. I'm still quite nervous about pulling the tape on the canopies, as I don't know if I have made the cracking in the canopy worse since I last saw it (its been handled a LOT since then) and partly because I simply don't want to get any more prints or damage to the clear parts while I'm adding all the final details. 

Time will tell in the end, as soon enough there will not be a whole lot left to do, and I will have to take the masking off.

I also need to prep my bench for the OV-10A I have coming, and get some of my homemade decals ready for it. The "left to do" list is growing shorter now, and its down to things like the windshield wiper, canopy hatch levers and springs, pitot tube, pilots step, aerial antenna and the like. All things that make the model more and more delicate, so I need to continue to work on the Bronco on the stand, and off the gear, as I'm still not that confident it would take any pressure.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

HI Brian

Back in the day one word describes it all: WICKED! Awesome to the last detail and looking forward to the bronco rolling out and onto the flightline.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

HI Brian

Back in the day one word describes it all: WICKED! Awesome to the last detail and looking forward to the bronco rolling out and onto the flightline.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

You are betraying your Boston heritage there, Bud....... :fight:

Great pics, Vandy, thanks! Quick clarification, though: what they claim to be a Zuni pod is actually a SUU-25 flare dispenser. It kicks out LUU-2 para flares vice rockets. You are correct, though, the pod is hanging backward! The contraptions on the front are for explosive cartridges (cads) that kick the flares out.

Not trying to steal any thunder, just wanted to clarify...

Cheers!

Ski

You should know SKI  It was taken in your old back yard. Heard a lot of nice things of you when those photos where taken this weekend. Also I claimed it as a ZUNI pod as it looked like one :wub:    Also sorry for the loss of your brothers in arms from 29 palms.

Danny

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Wow, small world! I miss my old club (TVMC), lots of talent and great guys all around. Bunch of liars, though, don't believe a word they said about me... First time I saw the pod, I thought it was a LAU-10, too, so don't feel bad! It wasn't until I saw the "back" that I realized what it was. Can't blame the museum for passing it off as a rocket pod, a flare pod isn't nearly as sexy!

And thanks for the sentiments, tragic day Friday. I didn't know the copilot, but the aircraft commander was a friend of mine. She was a squadron mate when she flew CH-46s, we were on the USS Boxer in 2009 during the whole Capt Philips ordeal (she transitioned to Huey's after our float). Days like Friday, I don't miss flying....

Semper,

Ski

Edited by Usmcski

Well its been long couple of days, but Ive been waiting to get some of the Tamiya polishing compound I like, as I ran into some issues with some minor blemishes after I finally pulled the tape from the canopy. It was a bit of a scary moment, as I expected the worst, but was happily surprised to see that things were not quite as bad as I thought they might have been.

The blemishes look like it might have been left over residue that bonded a little with the Future...............which is why Im considering moving from Future on canopies, to going to a pure 2/3 stage polish and protectant process instead. I seem to have bad luck with Future on clear parts lately (and overall in general with clear parts I guess) but I think I can eliminate a lot of those issues by moving to polishing my clear parts instead of Futuring them.

I ended up borrowing both some Tamiya "Finish" polish, as well as some Novus "Fine scratch remover for plastics". Im sure some of you have already heard of Novus polish but I had never used any up to this point:

novus-plastic-polish-2.jpg

I took two spare quarter glass parts from teh kit, and used the Novus polish on one, and the Tamiya Finishing polish on the other. The Novus polish won hands down. I think I might be more tempted to use the Tamiya polish on painted parts, and the Novus on the clear parts. I think I will also invest in some of their heavy scratch remover and some of their plastic cleaner and shine.

In any event, the Ds masking has been removed. The port side windscreen that  I was initially worried about is really not that bad and is not that noticeable:

DSC03994.jpg

The starboard side I was not that lucky on, as it spider webbed a bit, but it still could have been a whole lot worse:

DSC03993.jpg

Side glass also got some polishing, and is now kind of hard to photograph, but in person, the innards of the two pits really looks cool, even if its not really accurate:

DSC03998.jpg

DSC04005.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

Overall I still think it looks Ok, and is not nearly as bad as it could have been. All the small details now coming together. Front glass wiper now added:

DSC03997.jpg

MORE....................

.60 cals now added as well:

DSC03996.jpg

MV Lens inside of the hollowed out and backed OOB light:

DSC04004.jpg

Trim tab actuators now added:

DSC04002.jpg

Next it was time to get the aerial antenna sorted and finished. This is not really that accurate, but I think it looks cool, and LOOKS like it could be accurate. Fuse antenna mount is just scratched from aluminum tubing, some CA, + micro-tubing from Bobs Buckles. The rear is just some bits and bobs from the spars bin. Antenna is white EZ Line dyed with a fabric marker Cool gray :

DSC03999.jpg

DSC04000.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

Lastly I unmasked and polished the clear lens in the nose and added the pitot tube:

DSC04007.jpg

Im OFF call for another week on Friday so this weekend is a 3 day weekend for me. YAY!  I hope to have this one done AND be able to click some RFIs........................Ive got TWO builds I want to start ASAP!!!!

Cheers till ur older lads,