Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Thanks for the post on the decals.   But  :crying:  sad the USMC VMO-5 UV  AC I want to do is not there. The Navy one is :yahoo:

Glad the Decals worked out for you Brian. But sorry for all the trouble you had with them. I guess Glen listened to us. We wanted thinner decals. Well we got them :rolleyes:

Cheers

Did not realize peeps were asking for thinner ones from KH?  Were KH decals previously thicker?

In this light, if you DO happen to get them where you want, they settle down nicely, but they are SO thin and fragile and stick SO well exactly where you dont want them, that it makes them really hard to use IMHO. Im hoping I have better luck with some AM decals for my A model.

From Andys post, it looks like we could get a whole new slew of OV-10A schemes to choose from in 32nd from Caracal printed by Cartograf (although Im not sure exactly when they come out however) :

cd48068profiles.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Glad you were finally able to work through he decal issue, it is a make or break stage in the build. Decals and markings look mighty good and you're up for a patience award for sure. First thing that ran through my mind was Kevin's decal problems with his Texan when I started reading your update. What I don't understand, is after all these decades of kits and decals, there has to be a standard as what works and what doesn't. :fight:

Just glad you were able to pull it out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Did not realize peeps were asking for thinner ones from KH?  Were KH decals previously thicker?

Not from KH, just In general we ask for thinner decals. Like for Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. But others make them to thin as KH and PYN Cutting Edge (Samples).

I guess we will never be happy with kits / decals and etc. Just talking out my butt like most of the time :coolio:

Cheers Brian

Danny

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your decal woes. It must have worked out in the end though, because the pictures look terrific.

It's aggravating when decals lack sufficient "float" as placement becomes so critical.

Keep up the great work...you're Bronco rocks!

Rich

Greetings All,

From a fellow modeler who is going to start the OV-10D soon, here's a question re: the decals.  If the carrier film is too thin, would it help to clear coat over the decal sheet to build up the thickness, then closely cut them out?  I've heard about preserving damaged/old decals this way, just wondering if it would apply in this case.

Semper,

Ski

Brian

Glad you were finally able to work through he decal issue, it is a make or break stage in the build. Decals and markings look mighty good and you're up for a patience award for sure. First thing that ran through my mind was Kevin's decal problems with his Texan when I started reading your update. What I don't understand, is after all these decades of kits and decals, there has to be a standard as what works and what doesn't. :fight:

Just glad you were able to pull it out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I tend to agree, but it seems that they arent always tested in the normal manor, and/or people have differing views on what "works".  I would have like to have had ALL the decals survive, but alas it was not meant to be. This is NOT a reflection of a poor kit, just decals that are not user friendly. I think we should be seeing some nice AM decals soon enough, and might even see some for the D too.

Not from KH, just In general we ask for thinner decals. Like for Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. But others make them to thin as KH and PYN Cutting Edge (Samples).

I guess we will never be happy with kits / decals and etc. Just talking out my butt like most of the time :coolio:

Cheers Brian

Danny

Thanks Danny. I think your right, that generally we always want the thinnest available, but in this case Im not 100% sure its ALL down to these being too thin. Its also that the decals are very delicate and stick at EVERY turn, seemingly especially in places you DONT want them to stick. The way the carrier is not spread out over all the decals seems to contribute to their floppiness.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your decal woes. It must have worked out in the end though, because the pictures look terrific.

It's aggravating when decals lack sufficient "float" as placement becomes so critical.

Keep up the great work...you're Bronco rocks!

Rich

Thanks Rich!  Very kind of you to say. The only thing I think that DOES work well with these decals is the fact that if (BIG IF) you can get them into the position you want without ripping them they do snuggle down very nicely.................as evident by the "A" and the "E" in Marines on both boom decals, as those two letters landed on the flare panels that are SUPER bumpy, and they settled down very nice IMHO.

Greetings All,

From a fellow modeler who is going to start the OV-10D soon, here's a question re: the decals.  If the carrier film is too thin, would it help to clear coat over the decal sheet to build up the thickness, then closely cut them out?  I've heard about preserving damaged/old decals this way, just wondering if it would apply in this case.

Semper,

Ski

Im not confident that would solve the issue Ski.

There is also an issue with the way the carrier is laid out. What I mean is there are a lot of places on these decals where the carrier is non-existent, such as in between some letters (like the "U" in the "MU" squadron decals) and in the case of some like the "U" there is no carrier to support either side of the U, and thus, it is great once you have them down, but getting them there without folding the U on itself is a real feat.

The clear on decals is generally for decals that are falling apart, but Im not sure how it would effect new decals, and if it would help the stability either.

I might suggest picking out which scheme you want to do, then experimenting on some of the decals your not going to use to see if that method works or not.

If you do experiment with laying down clear first, please share your results with us!

Cheers

Is there a decalsheet for the OV-10D on the way?

Im hoping so, but not sure. For sure there is an A sheet coming, but hope to heavens sake for all you building the D, that there IS one coming cause the OOB decals are a PITA!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks for the pointers on clear-coating; I was thinking about experimenting with the Navy decals included on a test model, since I won't be using them on anything.  I'll be sure to mention my results...

With the scheme I'll be doing, I'm confident that I can scrounge enough (usable) markings from other sheets to make it work.  The tailcodes might be a different matter, though.  If needed, I'll have to mask and paint those....

I'm learning a TON about the kit by following this build, btw, can't wait to see more.  Looks fanstastic!

Cheers,

Ski

I'd strongly recommend trying some clear decal film. Microscale and Badger makes some good ones. They worked well enough on the decals I had to print for my recent 109. Don't know if they'd help the grippiness issue, but they certainly help with durability.