1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Peter

very good work, but remember the more detail you add permantly the more difficult to cast consistantly, if you look at alot of after market PW engine kits you will notice that the moulds quickly break down around the fin head area due to trying to get the mould to move in several directions to get the part out, even using 10 shaw A rubber grade may still give problems, continue to build but drill and pin the parts together when doing the rear cyclinder.

Mick

Wow, Peter, it just keeps getting better! If you are thinking about adding all the detail to the firewall I am not sure if you are an inspired and talented model builder, or just plain crazy!! :P

Keep up the good work, we will be here with you. :clap2:

thanks guys - really appreciate the encouragement :)

Peter

very good work, but remember the more detail you add permantly the more difficult to cast consistantly, if you look at alot of after market PW engine kits you will notice that the moulds quickly break down around the fin head area due to trying to get the mould to move in several directions to get the part out, even using 10 shaw A rubber grade may still give problems, continue to build but drill and pin the parts together when doing the rear cyclinder.

Mick

Thanks for the sage advice Mick - I think it might be time to drop you an IM so I can see what I need to do with these parts.. I see resin AM with detail & undercuts but to be honest have no idea how to get from master to reproducable parts enough to make an engine or two..

So, a little step (well one part anyway) forward today - I decided to try and get some of the nosewheel bay done so I can add the lower nose casting and get the fuselage shape complete.

..I wanted to get the noseleg mount sorted so made a template of the angle (it has quite a forward rake) and drilled a hole to take the brass tube that will form the mounting...

WIP244_zps2601fc28.jpg

..then I wanted to make this 'V' casting that sits atop the nosewheel leg to dress the mounting tube and hide the fact the tube goes right through to the bay roof...

WIP243_zpsca508e8d.jpg

..so, I made a card template (bottom of pic) to get the size & shape worked out, the tube stub got another bit of plastic tube as the base and cut  a couple of card shapes to start making up the casting itself..

WIP245_zpsb464d56b.jpg

..glued these to make the 90 degree angle..

WIP246_zps539c77de.jpg

..used some sheet as an infill and added the upper elements..

WIP247_zps9d4ba2fd.jpg

..added more bits & bobs to get near to the shape..

WIP248_zpse68fb321.jpg

..tried to add the rounded inner profile of the casting with bits of card strip and added a lug that is part of the retraction mechanism..

WIP249_zps69046cc9.jpg

..after a shot of primer I can see some refinement is needed..

WIP250_zps42dbb108.jpg

..and the part in place in the bay roof..

WIP251_zps7d92e646.jpg

..and another step nearer closing up the nose...

WIP252_zpsfe97ce56.jpg

..just one little part - now I look at it I should probably save up more progress before posting an update... :coolio:

TTFN
Peter

...now I look at it I should probably save up more progress before posting an update... :coolio:

TTFN

Peter

Don't you dare Peter or we'll be sending da boyz rahnd! :fight:

Please keep posting every delicious morsel. I think we all know how much time and effort it takes to take photos, edit them and then post on this thread but I think we all appreciate the results.

Instead, what you should probably be doing is casting these marvellous parts to offer as a kit and make Airscale more revenue. :hmmm:

What this does for me is to urge me to try harder and not think "oh, it'll do" so I'm grateful for the inspiration. Keep it up.

Cheers.

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Why am I not amazed? For the life of me, I just can't understand how you are able to visualize and then breakdown the part into it's components and then, if by magic, create the completed part.

In awe as usual

Keep 'em coming

Peter

So this is a paper-project ?

Not exactly.

It is a very clever way to make an incredible model with an insane amount of details.

Who would have thought that a cardboard kit could lead to this.

My hat's off to you sir, incredible work !

Sincerely

Pascal