1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Happy New Year folks & thanks for all your kind comments :)

a little more done so another little update..

..first up, I routed out some of the bulkhead and foam filling with my new dremel flexi (Xmas pressie from Mrs A... :wub: ) to prepare for the rear bulkhead in the nosewheel bay...

WIP263_zps3a5d20c3.jpg

..made up a bulkhead from card and what I think is the rear cockpit of a 1/72 SBD Dauntless from the spares box - it is the right shape (or near enough) and added some details from brass and rivet transfers...

this part of the wheel well is pretty much enclosed by the partly open rear doors so not much will be seen anyway..

you can see some small model car PE cable seperators fixed to the top of the grey part - these will hold a bunch of pipework..

WIP264_zps9671f7b7.jpg

..got some wire & bent them to the size / shape needed...

WIP265_zpsec130955.jpg

..and with the pipework in place...

WIP266_zps624ecb0a.jpg

WIP267_zps1304aec6.jpg

..and in place.. I also added the two flanges (with the punched holes) that will hide the internal join between the lower nose casting and the fuselage, they will also strengthen it..

WIP268_zps31fbe03c.jpg

WIP269_zpse2fde1df.jpg

..and with the lower nose added to make sure it all fits...

WIP270_zpsf84c16a9.jpg

WIP271_zpsbfb8f061.jpg

..need to get the internals done here so I can paint the interior of the bay and add the nose, then finish & detail the fuselage, then build the cockpit & canopy, then build some wings, then build some tailplanes, then build some nacelles & engines, then some undercarriage, then it will be about 2017....

TTFN
Peter

This is crazy.....

I love this late night novel reading......phu...that is a thriller build build for shure with all youve gone thru with this one....and i must say, the result so far speaks for itself....ive just found this thread and started from the first post....i love this and like it alot.

/Mal

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Geez, it's scary .... the work is just fantastic. Are you sure you really are one of us from planet earth?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

awww thanks chaps :)

..not back to work yet so got a little bench-time and a bit more done...

..first a torsion arm that controls many things it seems, including the rear gear doors and is linked to the retraction jack so I guess sequences the order of things as the gear retracts..

..it is a wire core with bits of tube and a number of 'banjo' fittings from the model car world that allow a rod to be inserted at 90 degrees - also made up the arms that control the gear doors. I had to take the brackets off the assembly I made earlier so I could put it all together and lower it a bit so as not to foul the gear leg..

WIP272_zps8bb450a3.jpg

..I also modified the fuselage so I could add the rear bulkhead and have the whole bay as one slot-in assembly... will m ake things easier to work on...

WIP274_zps6b8c2988.jpg

..next I started to make up a compressor or something that goes in the rear gear bay - it doesn't seem to figure on restored Tigercats so may be something to do with the cannons, but I like the challenge and it fills some empty space...

used a bit of clear tube & started to dress with plastic & brass..

WIP273_zpsf8e00026.jpg

..added some airscale PE bits and made it up into a sub-assembly...

WIP275_zps32aaaa0e.jpg

..added it and some hose that runs the length of the bay - also mounted the torsion bar...

WIP277_zps78eb06c6.jpg

WIP276_zps76e67c40.jpg

..and some views of the bay so far...

WIP281_zps367a1a3d.jpg

WIP278_zps5e953a94.jpg

WIP279_zpsed09f3b9.jpg

WIP280_zpsbe1f1c7f.jpg

..few more bits to do and then hopefully I can prime & paint it - anyone any ideas on an acrylic match for 'Grumman Interior Green'?

TTFN
Peter

Absolutely amazing, Peter. I can't wait to see the next installment of your crisp and clean scratch building. Phew, I'll have to learn a lot until my own scratching will be even close to your efforts.

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer, I consider that high praise indeed - your phenomenal work on the Viggen leaves me in awe

I might be able to mess about with little details, but making whole aeroplanes - thats all new to me and yours is quite the inspiration :thumbsup:

Peter