1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

evening all.... :)   ..thanks for stopping by!

a few more tiny steps forward getting the engine parts built up into masters..

..first I just oriented myself a little by sticking some blank card shapes that are the outer dimensions of the rocker covers and are the angle & position of the top face where the actual cover pressing goes...

WIP211_zpsb3dca674.jpg

..then got some square stock and let in some tube at the right angle to take the pushrods... lots of bits & bobs & shaping still needed...

WIP212_zps7ab1e146.jpg

..after adding some of the shapes / parts I can see from references, I also cut the cylinder head part down to shape to let in the new bit...

WIP214_zpsf0a22c14.jpg

..now to the rocker covers themselves - I started by getting some references - these pics came from ebay! useful though as they show the subtleties of the casting and the shape / proportions from the gasket..

WIP210_zps774ecbf9.jpg

..started with a bit of rod & rounded the top, then ground out the rebates for the rear & mid fixings, then let in some rod stock to try and capture the round recesses for the mid fixings and finally mad a card sandwich to try & get the shapes of the front right.... this really was an excercise in decomposing a shape into parts that could be arrived at through invention...

WIP213_zpsa5f12283.jpg

WIP215_zpsb20edbdb.jpg

..and finally had the part nearly complete - I still need to add the bolt heads & think about whether to cast these caps as a separate part...

WIP216_zps91df9712.jpg

..and tacked with the cylinder head part...

WIP217_zpsa05d8e1a.jpg

..and finally, dry fitted with the cylinder...

WIP218_zps9262a357.jpg

WIP219_zps19731c8f.jpg

..so, getting there slowly but I do feel like this could be a rabbit warren I could be down a long time by the time I finish up the cylinder, (I still have the other rocker cover and the exhaust ports at the back to do...) try casting it, and then repeating the whole process for the rear cylinders which are different again..

..oh well, as we detail freaks say - I will know it's there...

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Absolutely amazing work. Just being able to visualize what shapes are needed to make a part is beyond my comprehension. Incredible work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:wow: Very nice details peter,

I took these pictures when I was at the Nanton Museum a couple of years ago, what you are doing is just like the pictures.

IMG_6170_zps7f3fb0af.jpg[/url]

IMG_6171_zps2bd4ac1f.jpg[/url]

IMG_6172_zpsa9c03675.jpg[/url]

IMG_6173_zps05494cec.jpg[/url]

IMG_6174_zps9b87a928.jpg[/url]

IMG_6175_zpsb8a11f93.jpg[/url]

IMG_6176_zpsb2f169b8.jpg[/url]

IMG_6177_zps4cd27f05.jpg[/url]

IMG_6178_zps121b9698.jpg[/url]

IMG_6179_zps7211be2d.jpg[/url]

Hope these picture are of help.

Regards

Richard

great stuff!  How are you going to replicate the effect of small sheets of metal layered over each other - scribing?  I've attempted to scratch a cylinder head before & couldn't work out how to do it...

• 2 weeks later...

well good evening chaps :)

Richard those pics are great - thanks for adding them..  whilst they are not of the -32W version of the P&W2800 they have many common details that I just didn't have reference for so really grateful for them

..so, life has got in the way lately and I only had a little time at the bench in the last couple of days so there is only a little progress to show for it..

..first up, I made a mould of the rocker covers - after I added a few micro brass bolts to the corners...

WIP221_zps67495e5a.jpg

..made a couple of copies to use on the cylinder head master...  they look like little animal skulls...

WIP223_zps7f04a6e2.jpg

..then a bit of a make or break moment - I tried to represent the finning on the head casting by cutting very fine saw cuts into the head.... I also cut out the two sections where the new pushrod housings will go...

WIP222_zps12377368.jpg

...I added a dummy pushrod to help aligning the first one...

WIP224_zpse257dd0b.jpg

..then added the other and the little resin rocker covers on the tops...  the idea is this part (when I have done the back with the exhaust ports) will be cast separately though I am a bit worried about undercuts etc so will likely call in the experts...

WIP225_zpsb479d0be.jpg

WIP226_zps0a82ee66.jpg

..and then a dry fit with a couple of dummy pushrods and the front / top of the full cylinder is just about done...

WIP228_zpsdcf8b619.jpg

WIP229_zps50b209f0.jpg

WIP227_zps77af360f.jpg

WIP230_zps44d4f8a3.jpg

...need to get this wrapped up soon so I can get a casting to rework for the rear cylinder heads - the rocker covers there have a different layout and are canted in at an angle...

..also been looking at the nosewheel bay and cracking on with that as I need some aeroplane time as this has been pretty fiddly stuff so might need a little diversion..

so much to do...

TTFN
Peter