1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Guest Peterpools

Peter

I'm watching in complete amazement; just total awe. Just make sure you use the correct octane when firing up this bad boy.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

..and now for something mildly different...

One of my all-time favourite aircraft is the Tigercat and despite years of waiting there is still no injection moulded kit of it, so rather than wait any longer I am going to try and make one myself..

I thought about using the combat / ID vacform but then thought why not go completely mad and try it in 1/24. The basis will be an upscaled Fly Models 1/33 card (yes, card) kit. It arrived today and tomorrow it is going to the printshop to be blown up by 37.5% to form the templates for a 1/24 version :mental:

the engines will come from a Kinetic P47 (copied in resin) which I will get once I prove to myself it's viable.. I did some home vac-forming on my Sea Fury so I figure I can do bits like the nosecone, cowlings etc that way..

..such are dreams made of so we will see..  if it works out it opens the door to a whole world of LSPs not available in kit form, if it doesn't, it will be a pretty public failure, but hey, we don't know unless we try..

I haven't fully decided which airframe yet, but am not a great fan of GSB so likely this one - TBM Inc Tanker #E63 N7654C an F7F3. It's important the lines are not ruined by the large tank usually carried but thanks to Warbird Information Exchange I found these shots of it without it...

..Card models are all new to me, so lets see what's in the 'kit'..

..exploded diagrams - ok can understand that...

.assembly diagrams - check. seems straightforward...

..pattern parts - ok.. reminds me of the old balsa kits I had a bash at in the last century as a boy...

..WTF...

..oh boy - these are the skins - will have to use these as templates in plastic, maybe some sheet metal litho, rivet first or not - this is going to be a steep learning curve...

..interior parts - think I will be fine with these :ninja:

..as if I was ever going to build two R2800's cylinder by cylinder - total respect for these card modellers...

..so, we will see what happens next - in my head I can crack on quite quickly with the fuselage as actually it's just about using the templates to create a 1mm plastic card substructure and then play around skinning it...

..thanks to big matt for the inspiration with his Helldiver - reading this made me realise I wanted a change and to move projects around to do something I have literally always wanted..

..I think I need a check-up from the neck up :P

TTFN

Peter

No. you do NOT need a check-up from the neck up.

You are to be congratulated for accepting a challenging project. :thumbsup:

You are pushing the envelope.

Have fun!

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor

Peter.........! :frantic:  :yahoo:  :thumbsup:  :o  :clap2:  :blink: ! 'nuf said.  You're going to need more than a check up if you enclose all of this work within a cowling. Especially if you enclose both engines!  :fight:

Cheers,

Wolf    :popcorn:

P.S. A personal record for me. Most emoticons used in a single post but I felt it was warranted.

why thanks all - very kind :)

I am definately not closing up the cowlings! one engine will be 'all hanging out' and the other all tucked up - I expect I will open the panels behind the firewall too as I am just so into getting lost in detail I never know where to stop...

anyways, I think I have virtually finished the cylinder master for the front row...

first I set out where the exhaust ports are and added some short bits of ali tube...

WIP232_zps3d942c73.jpg

..then tried to build up the structure around them with bits of card, stock and CA as filler - I also added the fins in this area with the micro-saw again...

WIP233_zpsb4140dbd.jpg

...then shot some mr surfacer 1200 (carefully) to see the flaws that needed dealing with...

WIP236_zps4367270e.jpg

I added a bit of wire temporarily for the 'U' shaped pipe that runs between the rocker covers..

WIP234_zpsd76bcdce.jpg

..and the rear..

WIP235_zps4bddb9b1.jpg

..and dry fitted together - these two parts hopefully can be cast separately after I clean them up a bit..

WIP238_zps7a2c1c14.jpg

WIP240_zpsbe164ed5.jpg

..and again the rear - I blanked off the exhaust ports so when cast they just act as housings for the pipework that needs to fit to them..

WIP241_zpsec5c3a59.jpg

..and that's pretty much it - three weeks or so since I realised the Kinetic P47 engine I cast a copy of (thanks LSP_Ray!) wasn't really up to the shape/detail level I would be happy with, I have my first engine part...

WIP239_zpsec7c9e04.jpg

sigh - good job I'm not in a hurry, just hope folks stick around long enough to actually see an airframe come out the other end of this saga :unsure:

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

"....I expect I will open the panels behind the firewall too as I am just so into getting lost in detail I never know where to stop..."
I can't believe it. No way.  :hmmm:

BTW: extraordinary work and a joy to follow

Keep 'em coming

Peter