1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Yikes brother!

You know Peter, once you all done with this, and you've swept Telford, and made the rounds at all the shows, you really should lend this thing to a museum or somewhere where others can see how far our hobby can be taken......it really deserves to be witnessed by others.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Yikes brother!

You know Peter, once you all done with this, and you've swept Telford, and made the rounds at all the shows, you really should lend this thing to a museum or somewhere where others can see how far our hobby can be taken......it really deserves to be witnessed by others.

I'm with Brain here - it is so inspirational on so many levels that it should be displayed as a modelling masterpiece.

I post very few external links, and I hope that I am not contravening any LSP guidelines, but you may find the following FB link useful to your project:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1654243461480000&set=oa.408965815978083&type=1&theater

Derek

Edited by Derek B

wow guys - I don't know whether to be flattered or lay low for a while :coolio:

Welcome to the club fellow knitter..

...I will be posting selection of knitting patterns on the traders forum shortly. Then we can all compare our half double crochets while Peter wipes the floor with us!

Still, Peter's Tigercat might be good, but I've just knitted a Heinkel...

There, I feel better now..

Regards;

Steve

that is the funniest thing I have read for a long time Steve - it still makes me laugh out loud every time I see it :rofl:

We could start a knitting club, but then Peter would join, and we'd be back to square one.

Kev

..and that is the second funniest - you guys are class  :thumbsup: 

:rofl:

Btw, Peter, about these protruding screws on the inside ... Why don't you do just like on the 1:1 model : have some stringers and bulkheads to which they are fastened to ?

Hubert

That is a brilliant idea Hubert - thats what I will do :)

Yikes brother!

..very kind of you to say so Brian, but it will not be entered into a show - I will take it to Telford as something I hope of interest on Iain's stand but I have never entered a competition in my life - as to what to do with it when it's finished I have no idea but i would love to put it in Chino as a tribute to the one they restored

..so, some bits and bobs done - actually quite an important bit of engineering to start with..

When I put big brass plates & mounts in the wings to take the main undercarriage I had to try and imagineer in three dimensions where a collection of angles would join to put in a mounting point..

..needless to say I missed and was a bit out... you can see the mount deep in this nacelle

WIP950_zpsgf9j8ivw.jpg

..used card to work out a template as to where the base should be..

WIP951_zps4lwrmnhb.jpg

..made the parts in brass and soldered the assembly - more angles to get wrong..

WIP952_zpsyf0yeycg.jpg

..after much faffing, measuring and constant reference to photos I ended up with this..

WIP954_zpsoz9lursd.jpg

..it matches my references now (don't trust plans) and has the squat typical of the aircraft when mocked up..

WIP955_zpseyhhfvru.jpg

..another thing to do was the rear of the nacelles - they are sort of rounded at the top and have distinct fairings...

WIP945_zpsvq7n6hal.jpg

..I rounded off the tops with a file and after the usual tape templates they were done..

WIP949_zpsuwjlqmwd.jpg

..I need to skin the bottom of both wings so I can start the insides of the nacelles, so I started at the wingtip with the approach light..

..I made a dish shape from a bit of pewter and polished it up, then reamed the hole out in the wing and cut a recess for a sheet of clear card. I scribed circles on the clear card and put them face down..

I used a sequin and this sort of nail art diamond thing my kids had as a bulb (but forgot to put them in the photo..)..

WIP956_zpsdozicr29.jpg

..hopefully the holographic sort of sequin thing can be seen in the photo - in real life it catches the light and looks cool even if I do say so myself...

WIP958_zpss7vw8ksa.jpg

..and the wing panel is done..

WIP957_zpsuylq6wth.jpg

..more of those to do until both lower wings are skinned & I can add the nacelle roof detail to where they meet the bottom of the wings..

TTFN

Peter

This isn't modelling like I do (aka knitting). What I do is take plastic bits that look like parts of a plane and stick them together so they look like a plane.

This is taking a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't look anything like a plane and turning it into a miniature Tigercat. I'm not sure it's allowed.

Keep it up Peter.

Jim